Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign - System Font Helvetica Neue (TT) not found

New Here ,
Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have an issue with the macOS system fonts Helvetica Neue (TT) Bold and Light in InDesign.

The fonts are not being found by InDesign when opening a documents that contains them.

I am able to create a new document and use the fonts.

Once the document is closed and re-opened InDesign prompts me that these fonts cannot be found and indicated an orange exclamation mark next to them.

Attempting to replace the fonts (I am able to find them in the dropdown lists) then results in a pink backdrop and the font not displaying correctly.

I have tried clearing font caches, InDesign caches and reinstalling the software with no effect.

I have completely erased the Operating System and the font was recognised by InDesign initially when I opened a file, but the next time it was opened the issue returned and the font was not found.

I am on macOS Monterrey 12.2 although this issue began with Big Sur.

The issue persists with InDesign 2021 as well as the latest release of 2022 (17.1).

Has anyone experienced this issue before and would be able to advise please?

Thanks,

Michal

TOPICS
Bug , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a "Document fonts" subfolder that contains duplicates of these fonts? If so, what happens if you delete those and restart everything?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where would such a folder be located?  I have not got one anywhere I am aware of.

I can create a new INDD file on the desktop with only some type in Helvetica Neue Bold, save it, close, and once it is re-opened the fonts are not found.

Thank you for your response! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 18, 2022 Feb 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Whenever an InDesign document is "packaged (File menu)", it gathers things together like graphics and fonts. Usually, it will create a sub-folder under the ID doc folder and name it "Document fonts". An InDesign user might also build this manually. This is typical practice. However, occasionally the duplicate fonts in that "Document fonts" folder can confuse the font system. That is why you might try to locate it and either move it or delete it. Then restart the computer and see if the problem persists.

As additional general advice, don't work from the Desktop. Have a drive and folder you work in.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines