• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign Text cursor placement bug (latest version)

Participant ,
Feb 12, 2023 Feb 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the last two updates to InDesign CC, I've had the issue of the text cursor not landing where I click to select text. In other words, I click to the right of a letter to select the letter to the left of the cursor, but the cursor actually "lands" to the left of the letter that I clicked to the right of. For example, if I click to the right of the letter K below and try to select it, the cursor actually lands between the S and K, and I of course end up selecting the S instead of the K:

ASK

This ONLY happens in InDesign, and I KNOW this is a bug because I've seen a ton of forum topics around the creative blogosphere talking about it.

I'm just wondering if anyone here has figured out the problem, and a solution.

TOPICS
Bug , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Explorer , Feb 13, 2023 Feb 13, 2023

Are you using World-Ready composer for your paragraphs? I think it assumes you're working from right to left so always selects the character to the left instead of the right. Switching to normal paragraph composer will fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Feb 22, 2024 Feb 22, 2024

Thank you for resolving this very irritating problem!! It worked!!

It started after upgrading to the InDesign 2024 version.

You are my favorite person today! :0)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 12, 2023 Feb 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To get useful feedback, it would be a good idea to tell us more about your system: Please tell us what kind of computer and what operating system (exactly) you're running. Please tell us (exactly) what InDesign version you're using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 13, 2023 Feb 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

macOS Ventura (13.2) and InDesign CC 18.1 - but the problem dates back to the previous version of macOS and the previous version of InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting, my MacBook Pro 2021 with an M1 Pro chip has the same software specs and I've never experienced this in InDesign. I teach InDesign classes and use InDesign more than any other application. That's why I doubt it's an InDesign problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using World-Ready composer for your paragraphs? I think it assumes you're working from right to left so always selects the character to the left instead of the right. Switching to normal paragraph composer will fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tested switching some English-language paragraphs from the Adobe Paragraph Composer to the Adobe World-Ready Paragraph Composer, and that doesn't seem to the be case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a subtle difference. If you put your cursor over a character at certain magnifications and click it will select between characters to the left rather than the right. It's really annoying when you're doing lots of corrections but it's probably deliberate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 20, 2023 Feb 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for suggesting I check that. It was indeed the problem, though I can't for the life of me figure out how it got switched, as I never ever have the need to do so.

Is that an application or document-specific preference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2023 Feb 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's at the paragraph level in a document. Perhaps you've got all styles based on one with World-Ready Composer? I only use it when really necessary (paragraphs containing RTL text). Glad you've got the solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2024 Feb 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for resolving this very irritating problem!! It worked!!

It started after upgrading to the InDesign 2024 version.

You are my favorite person today! :0)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines