• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign: Text Frame change positions when connected to text thread with outflow option

Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2021 Jul 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good Morning,

Indesign 2020:

Connecting a Text Frame to another with autoflow option (alt-shift), first box connected change position.

See attached .indd file.

Thank you.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Alright. I built a test document from scratch with InDesign 2020 and cannot see the issue there.

Maybe there is something odd with your test document that originally was created with InDesign CS6 version 8.0.0.370 on a Mac, opened and saved on Windows with the same InDesign version and finally was opened and saved with InDesign 2020 on a Mac again.

InDesign version 8.0.0.370 was the very first version of CS6 without any bug fixing.

Perhaps that will explain the issue.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

(

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Luca,

opened your document in InDesign 2020 and can confirm the issue.

Always the first frame from the master that I target will move by 40 mm left and 20 mm down.

I tested that with all of the five frames of the master. The target always moves.

Changed the width and positions of the text frames on the master so that the edges of the frames do not touch the page edges. Still the same result.

Master before:

TestDoc-MasterPages.PNG

Spread one before:

TestDoc-Spread-1-BeforeThreading-with-Alt+Shift.PNG

After threading the selected text frame holding Alt and Shift keys and moving the mouse above the target frame:

TestDoc-Spread-1-AfterThreading-with-Alt+Shift-FirstFrame.PNG

Second frame as target:

TestDoc-Spread-1-AfterThreading-with-Alt+Shift-SecondFrame.PNG

Is this with this document only or do you see the behavior with other documents as well?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright. I built a test document from scratch with InDesign 2020 and cannot see the issue there.

Maybe there is something odd with your test document that originally was created with InDesign CS6 version 8.0.0.370 on a Mac, opened and saved on Windows with the same InDesign version and finally was opened and saved with InDesign 2020 on a Mac again.

InDesign version 8.0.0.370 was the very first version of CS6 without any bug fixing.

Perhaps that will explain the issue.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

EDITED

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found that if one overrides master page items (which can be done on all pages at once) and just Alt-click, it doesn't shift the first text frame. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I confirm that open a new file from InDesign 2020 fixes the bug.

I recently updated my mac to catalina and InDesgin to 2020, but unfortunately most of my documents was created in CS6.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Luca,

I very much suspect the issue is with your master spread itself.

To test that I loaded your master A-A from your document to my new document I did from scratch and that is working very well. If I then remove your text frames from A-A and add new text frames on the left hand page on that master, apply A-A to my doc pages, I can see the same phenomenon: the target text frame will move!

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is also working:

Add a new master to the document.

Do not duplicate that A-A master.

Copy the contents of master A-A to the new master and apply it to all document pages.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 14, 2021 Jul 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes is working....

If I copy the contents of master A-A to the new master B, and instead apply new master B to all document pages I apply new master B to my old master A-A (Master A Based on Master B)....

Now linking text, the first box doesn't change position, but change position all the others.

I'm going crazy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Now linking text, the first box doesn't change position, but change position all the others.

I'm going crazy."

Hm. Tried again. I cannot see any issue with the new master and the frames I copied over:

Target-First-TextFrame.PNG

Target-Second-TextFrame.PNG

You may download that test document from my Dropbox account:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0w3x6z2diogryii/link%20error-NEW-MASTER-2020.indd?dl=1

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hm. My advice:

After you copied over the contents from your old master A-A to the new master B do not use master A-A anymore.

Delete it. Master A-A has a bug!

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines