Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign - text keeps disapearing

Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2022 Feb 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using latest version of Indesign (17.1) on a M1 Mac

When editing text on a spread the text sometimes disapears. It comes back when I zoom out or scroll.

Its annoying becayse it interupts my flow

I noticed some older posts and some cures. The recent update seemed to fix this, but its come back

Adobe - can we fix this? 

Alex

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please contact Adobe Support Chat. 

Here the users forum, not a support. 

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here... are you using 2 monitors setup maybe? Just because mine is like that, and maybe thats the issue...

https://mega.nz/file/MxN0WRbb#oO09DZEPtxnbEGESPxMdcG6Ufii3exR5FIDAVCKjL6s

(screenrecord)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got an "answear" from the adobe support:

Please click on Indesign on your desktop at the top , then go to Preferences > Performance > GPU Performance> Uncheck GPU performance . After following these steps kindly check again.

And voilá, the text-disappearing is disappers...

So, the Adobe's answer is, switch OFF the GPU in Indesign... ridicuolus.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi vintezisCS and thanks for your response.

I did try this and anoyingly after thinking it worked it didn't!

Somewhere on the web I saw something about font settings and the Apple font system under setttings. I tried that before I noticed the upgrade. 

If I were still using software like GIMP and Audacity your'd live with this... but the expectaion here is that running Adobe on a M1 Macbook pro

things would just work. This is a combination of premium products. A can't believe that people who use the software day-in-day out would put up with this. Am I missing something very basic here?

Alex

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

after thinking it worked it didn't!

At my side this "solution" worked... After switch off GPU performance, did you restarted Indesign?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Feb 10, 2022 Feb 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> Adobe on a M1 Macbook pro

Apple have great quality hardware, but changing heart of this hardware goes to problem with soft that was constructed for another CPU and OS. Adobe have bugs on M1 because porgrammers can't predict and kill all errors on totally new hardware, that's annoying but thats our life. 

P.S. And annoying that Mac have GPU acceleration in InDesign but Windows don't have it. Annoying that if something wrong with displaying of objects - needs to off GPU acceleration on Mac.  

>> people who use the software day-in-day out would put up with this

That people in common prefer to not work on OSX with M1 or Windows 11. They prefer some good hardware/OS "minus one-two years".   

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know, I would agree with you, if this would be the first time. But honestly the Adobe CS (or CC or whatever) always suffering from a lot of bugs.

I started anno with QuarkXpress / Pagemaker, Freehand and of course with Photoshop. I loved Freehand but Adobe bought the whole Macromedia, and I needed to switch to Illustrator. Wasn't bad at all, but Freehand was much more streamlined, and I miss a lot of tool from ILST. Not 3D effects (who cares??), but line and curvature tools (b-spline?).

Next was the INDD. I was happy when Indesign 1.0 came out (it was a 99% Pagemaker copy), and from that I never missed Quark. But Indesign was a very unstable app at the begining...

And nowadays it is again. I cannot remember all the annoying bugs, but I know it was a lot. Always, and if a bugfix came out, another one came too.

And the most important thing: Affinity can handle the architecture changes? Blender and Cinema4D can handle it?? But Adobe cannot? On my M1 iMac i cannot use any raster-effect in ILST (like Grain), because I get an error message as "Not enough memory"... what??? How come? A 3D software is running flawlessly but ILST needs more RAM?

So, please... this is an expensive bundle, and I expect to work without "gamebreaking" bugs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

>> But Adobe cannot?

Adobe can't add TOP-1 requesting feature about splitting table rows through pages (see indesign.uservoice.com ). All that we can - ask and wait. I do wait and so angry 10+ years that I ask this feature. Ask again Adobe support through uservoice about your bug. 

>> Affinity can handle the architecture changes?

Affinity doesn't have scripting. Check and mate. And all that talks about competitors will be cut from here by me or some another moderator. Let's stop our off-topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines