• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign to flipbook blurry fonts

New Here ,
Jan 20, 2022 Jan 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been trying to get a high quality magazine started using Issuu as the flip book. Some text and gaphics come out perfect.

Text that is bold is blurry, I used open office Impress originally and got better results, but it was really painful. I love the InDesign features but hope to improve to a high quality. I also noted some pages are better than others. I was also wondering if internet quality on a momnetary basis is an issue while uploading. Thanks   

TOPICS
EPUB , Import and export , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Issuu appears (from glancing at its support page) to use the common practice of substituting its own fonts and applying transformations (bold, italic) when the fonts in the original document aren't uploaded or (possibly) aren't properly licensed. So it creates its own bold face from the base font, and unsurprisingly it's of low quality.

I'd review Issuu's technical support notes thoroughly and make sure you are creating PDFs that meet their standards — which may be out of step with more general standards.

I also note that Issuu will blur pages in free previews. If you're posting your stuff for paid access, and a few pages are fine and the rest blurred, that's probably it.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks
I downloaded their best instructions
I may need a better flipbook if there is one

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2022 Jan 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The chat line was not helpful but The Issuu techs asked for screenshots which they sent back to me. It turns out that my computer was probably ghosting the online image with the one that was sent. I tried a

different browser to send and it seemed to help. I looked at the cloud link on a different computer and it looked good. So my computer waas the problem. So much to learn!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a little suspicious of this answer. There are vanishingly few cases where File A on a conputer affects display etc. of File B, including downloaded content.

It is always good to switch browsers to check such things, though. These days, all the major browsers are pretty much in step in presenting web and online material identically — unlike the days of not so long ago when as a web developer, you had to test your pages on three or four browsers and correct, correct, correct to get a consistent experience. Perhaps Issuu has some minor bug with the first browser you used.

IMVHBQEO, though (that's ...Very Humble But Quite Experienced...) they are passing the buck and blowing smoke, here. One font face being blurry sounds very much like their on-the-fly modification, not faults with your file or computer.

Good to learn things. But be sure you learn correct things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks

The image they sent me from my screenshot was great,
the image on my wife's computer was great,
the image of indesign on mine was great, but the cloud version was
especially bad with bold type. I ended up getting rid of all bold

I want thi s to be really high quality but i'm on a shoestring budget
I'm going to download safari for windows and try that, they say it is best

I think i should also try going to a better internet connection
our satellite is considered weak

sometimes one page would be worse than the next

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't think your net connection has much to do with it unless they are scaling resolution to accommodate slow downloads — possible, but not likely the factor here.

You should not have to change basic aspects of your design to accommodate host problems. While some fonts and complex images might be a problem for the format, simple Bold is as basic as it gets.

I am not quite clear on where these different 'images' are coming from; things generated by various previews don't matter if the primary distribution source — which is what I assume you mean by the cloud version — comes up flawed. There seems to be some problem between the version you create and upload and the version they make available for reading/download. If you are following their formatting and file guidelines exactly, you should not be seeing any flaws using any current browser.

If you can test on a faster or more reliable net connection and get no flaws, that would indicate they are indeed rescaling the material on the fly, but I still find it odd that it would only affect bold, given the usual issue of bold and italic being modified on the fly (an inferior approach) by some font processes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines