• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign transitions not working.

Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have three pages. I simply want each page to push up. I apply the transitions then export and each and every time the three pages simply scroll to the right. I created my pages in Illustrator and saved them as pdf files and placed them into InDesign. This driving me crazy. I know I must be missing something, but I can't figure it out. I've used Illustrator, and Photoshop since the 80s ...this is my first time working with InDesign ...any help or advice would be appreciated!

TOPICS
Import and export , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The PDF has to be viewed in Full Screen mode for the page transitions to work, as I recall. 

I wonder if you could do something like this with Publish Online. Here is a document with many pages that link to sample documents. This document itself has a simple page transition, when viewed on a desktop computer (not mobile devices). Lots of interactivity possible, as you can see in samples.  https://adobe.ly/2yTI8OE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Diane. I've tried Publish Online and I can embed it on my site but it still reverts to the slide left to right option. I just want to be able to use any of the transitions gha t lets me choose from ...I've been working on this simple issue since yesterday! Thanks so much for responding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The transitions don't work on Publish Online. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Apr 26, 2021 Apr 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Right, Publish Online does not support the page transitions in InDesign's Pages panel. If this is an effect that you must have, it could be simulated, though it wouldn't be practical for a large file. If just a few pages, you can layer the objects (group each set of object that would normally be on a page), and have them transition using the animations panel. I can elaborate if this seems like a feasible approach in your case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could probably do it with the InDesign plugin, in5, but at extra cost.

87297AFE-5201-49F9-8C80-1E27B2E5315B.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2021 Apr 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Derek! ...why are they part of the InDesign software if you have to buy something else or figure out some sort of workaround?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The purpose of a plugin is to extend the capabilities of the application.

With InDesign, in5 allows you to export an interactive layout directly to HTML5, so it can viewed on any web browser (as part of a website or on your desktop). It also gives you an incredible array interactive features that don't exist in InDesign itself. 

To check it out, here's a link: https://ajarproductions.com/pages/products/in5/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign delivers a product designed to do certain tasks with certain tools. Common tools that most people use. The tools are generally a consensus from the Adobe team based on extensive research and collaboration with key stakeholders (which is usual for any company).

Publish Online was a task that key stakeholders wanted, and the Adobe team developed the tools to make this happen based on key stakeholder feedback. The publish online works based on the research and development of the tool and feedback from InDesign Alpha Testers, Beta Testers and from the InDesign User Voice. 

InDesign User Voice is a website that users like you and I can suggest changes to the software, and the tools so that we can have a say on how things work with the software - outside of the key stakeholders opinion. 

https://indesign.uservoice.com/

For instance, I campaigned for footnotes to span columns, and a few other features that are now in InDesign. I'm not saying my campaign made Adobe do anything, but it added weight to them to make changes - and it didn't happen overnight. 

The InDesign team then needs to weigh up if it's viable to add this feature over another feature they are working on - is adding the features like those in In5 worthwhile to them - they have promissed key stakeholders features/changes to features etc. 

They are working on 1000s of InDesign User Voice requests - whether it's a bug - a feature request - or something not working the way it should (non-bug but feature enhancement).

Now the team has to prioritize their workload -what can be delivered in the time frame and what cannot. 

And adding a new feature isn't always straightforward - it can have knockon effects to other tools in their arsenal - and that makes it difficult to launch a product that has holes in it because the new feature they priortized is flawed. 

As the InDesign and Adobe teams are working on features/bugs etc. - there are other avenues to features. 

Adobe and InDesign have allowed developers to develop PlugIns to enhance InDesign for 'niche' users who require InDesign to do something that is not 'out of the box'. 

I've seen some plugins in the past for InDesign which are now integrated wholly into InDesign. 

I'm not saying In5 or any other plugin will eventually be integrated as standard in InDesign. It's not how it works. 

But if there's demand for it - and the Plugin exists - there might be course for Adobe to acquire it and integrate a plugin that is important to it's development. 

Why isn't In5 integrated into Indesign? Well Adobe and InDesign never intended for documents to be published online - it's not a web authoring tool. Adobe and InDesign have delivered a Publish Online feature that works the way it works because of a lot of research/development/testing/feedback/and feature requests. 

If you feel this feature is required for InDesign - you can request it here https://indesign.uservoice.com/

But if you want InDesign to do something it's not designed to do - then you have to source 3rd party suppliers who provide plugins/scripts for InDesign. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines