• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign updates: what versions can open?

Contributor ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep my InDesign (and all CC apps that I use) up to date, but some folks that I need to share work with aren't as quick to update as I am. If I just updated ID to 16.2.1, can someone with 16.1 open files that I saved as 16.2.1?

TOPICS
How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021
The only number that matters is the version number. Dot releases are irrelevant.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only number that matters is the version number. Dot releases are irrelevant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So anyone with any 16 version should be able to open any later 16 dot update? I was hoping that was the case, but wasn't sure. 

Thanks for the quick response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Fritz,

there was an exception with InDesign version 7.

When InDesign CS5.5 was released as version 7.5 users of version 7, InDesign CS5, were not able to open CS5.5 documents.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the bit of history, but I'm more concerned with current work and production and publication deadlines. My colleague did just confirm that their 16.1 was able to open my 16.2 document. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, you could go back even further with 1.5 was released 21 years ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I remember it well. I was using PageMaker and Quark. InDesign was an obvious improvement. But even PageMaker was an improvement over Quark Xpress. IMHO.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just want to point something out here you have to be cautious about:

In 13.1 a little option "Merge Consecutive Borders And Shading With Same Settings" in paragraph borders/shading was introduced, which didn't exist in 13.0. 

Yes, you can open a 13.1 file in 13.0 – but you maybe have an issue that something looks different.

I'm not sure if something similiar happened after the v13-release, but with this release I personally had issues regarding that option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Indesign crashes constantly since the new update! Can't work... Reinstalled it already 5 times...nothing works!

Help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Footballheroes,

best create a new thread solely for your issue.

Also state more information there:

Exact version of InDesign and operating system.

Machine details.

If there is a crash report attach the crash report as text file.

Do not post a crash report in the post directly.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines