InDesign(v14.0.2) crashes while inserting a symbol as an index reference

Explorer ,
Aug 10, 2019 Aug 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried a dozen times to insert a symbol as an index reference in ID 2018 (version 14.02) and ID crahes. It used to work in previous versions. The symbol header is missing in the index panel.

{Renamed by MOD}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 10, 2019 Aug 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd start by restoring your InDesign preferences.

Here's how:

Set preferences in Adobe InDesign

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 11, 2019 Aug 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply, but it doesn't work. For some reason ID 2018 has not included a Symbols header in the index panel of my book. So I can't insert a symbol into the index. When I create a new doc the Symbols header reappear.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds like a problem with this particular file. Try saving it as IDML and opening that.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for you answer. You are quite right: the problem is with my files. Unfortunately, saving as IDML doesn't solve the issue. It seems it's not an easy issue. So what I'm doing is creating new files and copying and pasting. I can't see another solution.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 12, 2019 Aug 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ulysses,

Sorry to hear about the trouble you are facing with your files. You can try moving the pages to new documents and let us know if that helps.

To move pages to a new document:

• Open a new document and the existing one.
  • In the existing document, open the flyout menu of Pages and Panel and select Move pages
  • Specify the page or pages you want to move.

If that doesn't help, will it be possible for you to share the file with us? If yes, please upload the file to creative cloud and share the download link here.

Regards,

Srishti

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am having exactly the same problem. I used to be able to do this and have done in previous versions of InDesign.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines