Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

InDesign v17 and new Mac Os Monterey Glitches

New Here ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried InDesign 2021 & 2022 on the new Mac Os update and I can't get any documents or images placed. The file window is blank with the excpetion to check boxes? Is anyone having the same problems? I have also seen all the posts with the document font issues as well...

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021
Hi all, Sorry about this trouble. This issue has been reported with multiple apps on macOS Monterey. We're currently investigating this issue. As a workaround, you may try one of these options: Change primary monitor from System Preferences (Display) and then restore the settings to the original. Steps are shared here. If that doesn't help, we would suggest disconnecting the external monitor(s) or iPad (Side Car) as mentioned in the help article shared by @Conrad C.  Regards, Anshul Sai...

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I´m having just the same problem. I tried opening a InDesign docuement and the work window doesn´t show up, when I right click in the App to Show All Windows this is the only thing that shows.

InDesing Window.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could those be related to the problem listed by Adobe in their help document Known issues with macOS 12 Monterey? The Place dialog box is related to the Open/Save dialog boxes.

InDesign
Sometimes the Save, Save as, and Export dialogs may not appear when an external monitor (via USB-C thunderbolt cable) or iPad (via Sidecar) is connected.
To display the dialogs, temporarily disconnect the external monitor or Sidecar.

If the Place dialog box isn’t working, can the files be imported using drag and drop?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Sorry about this trouble. This issue has been reported with multiple apps on macOS Monterey. We're currently investigating this issue.

As a workaround, you may try one of these options:

• Change primary monitor from System Preferences (Display) and then restore the settings to the original. Steps are shared here.
  • If that doesn't help, we would suggest disconnecting the external monitor(s) or iPad (Side Car) as mentioned in the help article shared by @Conrad C

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah.

So we have to disconnect our external (second) monitors for this problem to go away?

That's tying one of my designer hands behind my back but still expecting me to get my work done to meet deadlines.

Are you really working on this problem? Phrases like "we're currently investigating this issue" don't give me much faith that Adobe will fix this bug soon.

This is a terrible bug!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don’t work for Adobe, but based on past experience it is not clear cut yet whether this is an Adobe bug to fix. Especially because the problems involve things that could be OS level. There have been several examples in recent years where a serious bug affected Adobe Mac applications, and nothing was confirmed by any party until an Apple update fixed the problem. In many cases the bug fix is not even mentioned in the Apple release notes but the evidence was clear. I am not saying these specific bugs are Apple’s fault (because we dont’t know and users might not ever be told), so although it may well be an Adobe bug, history suggests there is a fair chance that the bug fixes might come from either company.

Sometimes we wait while the two companies dig into the code and figure out whose problem it is. No point making one company committing resources to fix it when the problem might be in the other company’s code.

If you’re seeing this bug because you bought a new M1 Pro/Max laptop, I hear ya…it is not possible to use an earlier version of macOS on them. We will suffer until one of them fixes it.

If it’s because the Mac has been upgraded to Monterey, then…this is exactly why every time, I wait 6 to 12 months to upgrade to the next major version of macOS. There are always too many glitches in the first few months and I will not expose client schedules to those risks if I can avoid it.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never update to first OSX version. It is like puting bomb under your designer chair. I have never updated my mac to anything less than xy.3 or later.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly the new MacBook Pro with M1 chips is shipped with  Monterey... and as I know it is not possible to "downgrade" the OS. So… even if I agree with you – there is no chance to wait as you said…

It's so ridiculous. Now you have one of the best and most expensive computers for designers and it works worse than my 5 year old Intel MacBook. 🙈

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too! Today, I installed InDesign 17.0.1 the first time at my new MacBook Pro 2021 (Monterey is running) and worked for 3 or 4 hours. At first everything worked fine and as I expected it to do. And than – boom – suddenly these Keyboard- and Menue-Commands stoped working: Place, Save, Save as, Export.

I deinstalled InDesign (17.0.1) and reinstalled it again. Same problem. I deinstalled it again and tried the older Version 17 – but without success. The glitch remains... It's so frustrating 😐

Observation: The Command "Place" works as long as I don't use any of the other commands, like Save or Export. At the moment I press Cmd+S (nothing happens by the way) and then try to place something with Cmd+D – the error occures. 

Happy to be not alone with this error. But not happy to experience this problem anyways.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here!

/Linda

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem here. I am really fed up now 😞 It is hanging, timeglass running, and it stops working. I am so dissapointed, I have used tis for years and now with this update it will not work properly! 

I don't know what to do?!

/Linda

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I kindly ask everyone who found their way to this forum page not only to complain to Adobe, but also to address this error to Apple. They have to know about it just as much as Adobe. Apple has this website for this purpose: https://www.apple.com/feedback/
I sent a bug report to Apple under the heading "macOS". The more other users do this, the higher the chance that Apple will also accept this error. And act.
Thank you all.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines