• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign will not open.

Community Beginner ,
Jul 09, 2018 Jul 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having no issues with the program until I just updated the InDesign to the most recent version and now it won't open. The InDesign loading pop-up shows but when it gets to "starting up panels" it crashes and a Crash Form pops up. I've uninstalled it and while doing so cleared the preferences, and reinstalled but it's still not working. I have a Dell computer and Windows. I've read other post saying to clear cache and preferences but I can't find the folder for those (Screenshot attached). Screenshot.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To trash preferences on a PC:

You can try the quick way of resetting on a PC which is to hold down Ctrl + Alt + Shift when launching InDesign and respond affirmatively when asked if you want to reset. There have been some recent reports that the window asking if you want to reset is not popping up but that the prefs are being reset anyway. If this works great but if it doesn’t you may have to manually delete them.

To do so:

On Windows 7 and above the preference files are hidden. To find them go to the Control Panel and open Folder Options and then click the View tab. Then select “Show hidden files and folders” or “Show hidden files, folders or drive options” in Advanced Settings. Then delete (or rename) the folder at the end of this path: C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\InDesign\<Version #>\<Language>. Make sure that InDesign is closed when you do this. When you relaunch the program it will create  new preference files and the program will be at its default settings.

The advantage of manually deleting preference files is that after you’ve reset up the program (make sure that no document window is open) to your liking, you can create copies of your personalized “mint” preference files (make sure that you quit the program before copying them—that finalizes your customization) and use them in the future to replace any corrupt versions you may need to delete.

To clear caches on a PC:

On Windows 7 and above the caches files are hidden. To find them go to the Control Panel and open Folder Options and then click the View tab. Then select “Show hidden files and folders” or “Show hidden files, folders or drive options” in Advanced Settings. Then delete (or rename) the folder at the end of this path: C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Local\Adobe\InDesign\Version [#]\<Language>\Cache.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bill for being so detailed! I'm not the best at computers and your instructions were easy to follow. Unfortunately, Clearing the preference and caches did not work. Any other ideas of what it could be? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Windows and exactly what version of InDesign are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10 and just updated to InDesign CC 13.01

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you uninstalled and reinstalled did you do it in the following manner?:

In the app section of your Creative Cloud desktop app click on the “V” next to the app’s (Illustrator) name and choose the “Uninstall” option from the pull-down menu that appears. After you’ve run the uninstall then use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems  . Then reinstall the program through the Desktop app. Before you reinstall, once again trash all preference files to make sure that your install is completely clean. Then launch Illustrator and see if the problem persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2018 Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having serious issues with InDesign - XD - Illustrator 2019 versions the last 24 hours. I was on support for 2 hours with Adobe this morning and they couldn't find an answer for me. All 3 apps just close upon opening, with no warning, or dialogue box. I've tried deleting and re-installing the apps. Tossing preferences in trash etc. I've scanned the forums and can't find a solution anywhere. Is anybody else having any issues. It seemed to come on very suddenly without me doing anything.

System:
Mojave 10.14
2018 Macbook pro
2.9 GHz Intel Core i9

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2018 Oct 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem I have updated the OS and my Indesign but it wont now open, it just crashing everytime I try and open Indesign, before the upgrade it worked perfectly?!

System;

Mojave 10.14
iMac 2017
3.5 GhzCore i5

Any ideas how to resolve this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Next time it crashes, copy the crash report to pastebin.com and provide a link here. There may be a clue in there.

DO NOT post the crash report here. They’re way to long and can really mess up the forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have issues with InDesign 2019 14.0 on Win 10 . I've still got 13.1 working so I'm using that. I'd really like to see 2019.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue here, just happened this morning. I hadn't even updated to CC 2019 yet, but when I updated, it didn't seem to work. Actually, as it turns out, the app shows that it is open, and all of the panels seem to work, but the background and projects won't show up. I tried going back to the CC 2018 version since that was still on my computer (not sure why?) but it does the same thing.

I haven't tried much other than restarting my computer and making sure the updates have been done, but this is pretty annoying since I can't get any of my InDesign projects done today...

System:

Mojave 10.14

2017 Macbook Pro

2.9 GHz Intel Core i7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another curious thing... I have a personal account on my Macbook, and when I went over to check and see if it worked there, I found that it all seems to work fine. I am still on 13.1 over on that side. Hopefully it keeps working, but I don't plan to update till I have to or the 2019 version works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it popping up the validate account window a bunch of times before crashing? I ran into that before and had to delete some files to get it to work that were not just resetting preferences.

Like this? or different?

Photoshop cc2019 - YouTube

-Dax

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2019 Feb 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this same issue. It's been going on since early January - haven't been able to open InDesign, either directly through the app or by going to a file and trying "open with...".  The program gives an error upon 'starting up panels' which reads "Adobe InDesign CC 2018 has stopped working.  A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Please close the program.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times through the CC app.  Nothing has worked.  Can anyone suggest a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 04, 2019 Feb 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines