• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign will not respond or quit properly

Enthusiast ,
May 31, 2021 May 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Indesign 2021 on a MAC with (unfortunately) the Catalina system.

The program goes to "Not responding" when I try to open it. 

Today it opened after six or seven attempts. 

Sometimes it suddenly starts to open after I've clicked "Force quit."

When I close a document, either the program quits completely or a blank screen will not disappear from my desktop. I cannot do anything but force quit.

I have deleted preferences repeatedly. I have uninstalled and reinstalled both on my desktop and in Creative Cloud repeatedly.

I have 24 GB of memory.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you actually delete (or move or rename) the preferences and cache files? This goes beyond the keyboard option to reset preferences. See

https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-indesign-rebuilding-preferences-cache/

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I've done that repeatedly, and just tried again. It still doesn't work. Also I am using Catalina, and the instructions seem to be for Mojave (which I wish I'd never upgraded from).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Grundoon Groundhog:

I'm on Big Sur (11.4) and the instructions still work in exactly the same way. Nothing has changed since I wrote that post. 

Are you not able to see the Library folder? Open Finder, hold Opt and open the Go menu. Click on Library and continue to follow the instructions in the post. 

I did note a shortcut that was new in Mojave, but it works in all more recent operating systems, as well.
Cmd Sh .
toggles the visibility of hidden files in Mojave, Catalina and Big Sur.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experience. I agree with Barb in terms of preferences location on macOS. There has been no change. You may use the shortcuts though to reset the app as suggested on this help article.

I'd also recommend trying the suggestions given on this community post & let us know if they help to improve the performance of the app.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to find and delete preferences. So far so good, but I've done this before. I'll see if the problem reappears.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Grundoon Groundhog:

I was able to find and delete preferences. So far so good, but I've done this before. I'll see if the problem reappears.

Good that you were able to delete and allow InDesign to rebuild the files. These files/folders can become corrupt over time because InDesign writes to them every time you shut down (at least, that's what I think is going on—@Ashutosh_Mishra can confirm or deny 😉 ). At any rate, I end up deleting these files a few times a year at most, but I am using InDesign every single day. A clever option is to duplicate the working files/folders, put them in a safe place and just restore them when InDesign starts misbehaving. 

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And once again it's taken three tries to get Indesign to open. It's "not responding" but then opened anyway. Is it normal to have to repair Creative Cloud daily? An Adobe tech in India seemed to think so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. That is not normal. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to other suggestions, I highly recommend you uninstall/reinstall InDesign itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it's a relief to know it isn't normal. I have uninstalled/reinstalled several times, and the problem keeps coming back. I wonder if there is some conflciting software somewhere, though I have no idea where.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Grundoon Groundhog:

Did you ever definitively answer the question about removing (or moving to a new folder or renaming) these two items?

~/Library/Caches/com.adobe.indesign
~/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign

I'm clarifying because the words "reset preferences" and "delete preferences" can mean different things. 

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I deleted them, which presumably reset preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uninstalling rarely clears all the files and can result in some files not being replenished.

Try the CC Cleaner Tool

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 05, 2021 Jun 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did this. The problem recurred. I've gone back to the Big Sur system; maybe that will help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this trouble. As Barb mentioned, this definitely not a typical experience with the application. I would request if you could share a few more details like:

• Does it give any crash report? If yes, please submit by following this help article ( https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html ). 
    While submitting the crash report please use the same email address, with which you are signed in on this community. This will help us find the crash report and help accordingly. 
  • Does turning off GPU Performance help resolving the issue?

If not, please try following these steps one by one and let us know how it goes: 

• Rename CEP folder from  /Library/Application Support/Adobe  to CEP.old  
  • If that doesn't help, rename extensions folder from /Library/Application Support/Adobe/UXP to extensions.old    

While performing each step, please make sure that all Adobe apps are closed. Feel free to let us know if you still need assistance. We'd be happy to help. 

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The problem still occurs. I have to repair Creative Cloud daily. Indesign will not quit on demand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines