• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign Windows 11 PostScript Printing Error

New Here ,
Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We recently purchased some new laptops with Windows 11 on them and are getting "The Adobe Print Engine has Failed" error when using a PostScript driver. This issue did not exist with the driver on Windows 10 machines. Is there an issue using PostScript drivers with indesign on Windows 11 machines. Any information would be helpful. Also I did update the PS Driver to the newest available and the issue persists.

TOPICS
Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My system, updated fairly early to Win11, has both PCL and PS print drivers for my hulking HP industrial printer installed. I usually use PCL, the need for PS printing having diminished a lot in recent years. I haven't manually updated the drivers or utilities at least since this sytem was built, about 3 years ago.

A test print from ID to PS worked just fine. So I'd say it's no inherent issue.

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you using PostScript? Create PDFs with export to PDF and avoid EPS and use PDF/X-4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our graphic designers say there is an issue with export to pdf, that the colors don't always translate correctly. In turn they use the PostScript driver to custom use a custom print size on the plotter as the regular print driver does not allow for a custom print size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure you know your workflow and systems, but PS is getting pretty long in the tooth and edging into obsolescence.

It may be time to reevaluate your workflow around a native print language (used to work with plotters that had their own language if not PCL), or find a path through export to PDF that maintains color values. (PDF is quite complex and default color profiles etc. are not always optimal for commercial print setups.) It may be as simple as getting a correct color profile for your plotter.

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you printing to file or to a physical printer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Physical printer. This just started happening with the Windows 11 machines as the 2 other graphic designers are able to print fine from their windows 10 machines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do other programs print to this printer OK in Win11? I have some printers I've had to abandon when I upgraded to Win10 becausee there were no compatible drivers and the same problem may be hitting you with Windows 11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My experience is that anything that worked in Windows 10 has worked in Windows 11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it a specific Postscript driver for a specific printer? If yes, which one.?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines