• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign won't recognize PNG files, can't "Place"

Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2019 Feb 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a document about a month ago, a catalog, and placed PNG image files into image boxes for the layout. I opened the file back up today to do some edits and all the sudden InDesign tells me I have broken links. I investigate further to find that the images are located where they are supposed. I tried to "re-place" the png files into the boxes but InDesign doesn't recognize it and won't allow me to place it.

For reference, I also tried to open in PS but it doesn't recognize it either, so I'm sure it's a file issue.

Has anyone run across this and can you advise?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

I had some support from a chap at adobe.

I'll try and remember what we did.

Go into

> system preferences

> security and privacy

> Full disc access

> unlock the padlock (click and password)

> In the right-hand window scroll down to InDesign and click it.

> I also did photoshop and illustrator

> Clcik out of preferences 

> Document should now accept png files.

This worked for me, please feedback if successful as this is problem for other users!

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2023 Apr 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had this issue with InDesign Ver 182.1 x64 with winows 10.  My only option was to resave the offending .png file in fireworks using "Save As = Flattened PNG" format.  This allowed Indesign to open without issue after I relinked the file.

To determine the offending files was difficult as the InD gives no idication which files were the problem.  To solve this I moved my linked files to a new folder and executed a manual re-link on each file.  The >PNG that were OK relinked fine.  Those that were "Cannot place this file, Invalind PNG..." were now easy to identify and I resaved as PNG Flattened

I hoep this helps Win users

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines