• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign won't save, won't undo

New Here ,
Dec 16, 2021 Dec 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All was fine until today, 12/16/21.  But now, I can't save a file. All I can do is a save as, and overwrite last saved version.  And Undo is unavailable.  I'm working on a deadline and have had to rebuild file, over and over.  This is a crisis, Adobe! 

Running InDesign 16.4 

OS Mojave  on 10.14.6 (18G9323)

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro14,3

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 3.1 GHz

Memory: 16 GB

Sys summary attached.

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was able to delete preferences using the technique of holding down Shift+Option+Command+Control.

But ... Now I'm really in trouble.  Now Indesign will not open ANY existing indd files... it will not open a new doc... and it will not open any Adobe template sets. !!? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly what happens when you try to open any existing file? Error message (if so what is it?) Does the program crash?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, have you tried shutting down your computer, wait 10 seconds, then reboot and try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2021 Dec 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no error message.  When I try to open an indd file directly from the Finder, InDesign is launched but no document is displayed. 

If I launch InDesign first, and then try to open an indd, the indd is listed at the bottom of the Window menu, but the document is not displayed.

I just discovered a work-around. If I launch an indd directly or via the app,  and  then go to Window-> Arrange -> Float in Window, I can see a tiny representation of the doc in the upper left hand corner and I can enlarge it. (see screenshot)

Yes, I have rebooted several times.

NB - I only deleted preferences...  I did not try to rebuild them; I was under the impression that InDesign would do that automatically. Do you think i need rebuild InDesign preferences at this point? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

P.S. I can save and undo, now.
But the tiny window persists.

Very odd. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have an external monitor installed? There have been a lot of reports of strange behavior with external monitors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. No external monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Work your way to the bottom of the post @Steve Werner linked to. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just rebuilt the Cache and Prefs following the instructions at https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-indesign-rebuilding-preferences-cache/

And then launched InDesign with the fresh new files..

~/Library/Caches/com.adobe.indesign

~/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign

Original problem of not being able to save or undo is solved. 

But the rebuild di not help the issues I described in my earlier post today re the tiny window.

And... workspaces not showing and so tools and palettes are not showing.

I know how to go back to previous cache and prefs. 

But this is all very inconvenient and maddening. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does enabling the application frame help, @Silvercat22?

Window > Application Frame

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No it doesn't. 

Just discovered another issue.  Can't get Properties palette to show. Normally I keep it at the top of the window.  But when I try to enable it, it is nowhere to be found.  

This sucks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

p.s. I can add Properties to side bar, so that's better than nothing. 

A single workspace that I created is half- functional. All others have been lost. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Control panel won't show. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK I tried various combos...  turning on and turning off the application frame PLUS the Control Panel I get the workspace I need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OOPS - Correction -- with Application Frame turned OFF -- AND--  Control Panel turned ON its all good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines