• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Initial line of most paragraphs hyphenating

Contributor ,
Aug 26, 2022 Aug 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Laying out a book where I'm finding a surprisingly high rate of first lines to paragraphs hyphenating. Approximately half the first lines to some chapters. The line length is a fairly standard 12–15 words, though usually a word shorter on the first line as it's indented (by .55cm), but this seems to be having the effect of dramatically increasing the instances of hyphenation on that first line. It interrupts flow when when it happens so consistently, just as the reader is trying to gain momentum on that first line. Any thoughts? Appreciate all replies. 

TOPICS
Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There may be some technical reasons (style setting) that is causing this, but I'd bet it's just the way the chips are falling with your content.

Tweak your hyphenation settings by a tick here and there to see if you can push ID to distribute the breaks a little more evenly.

JamesGiffordNitroPress_0-1661524956640.png

—

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 03, 2022 Sep 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Certainly a possibility that this is an expression of sheer randomness, and many adjustments to H&J settings were tried with some success, but overall, it's a compromise if I opt to eliminate these hyphenations on the first line. Does it bother others as much if you see 80% of the first couple pages' paragraphs hyphenating on the first line?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that James is probably right. However, I recall a bug I encountered that caused differences in handling of text layout between the Adobe Paragraph Composer and the World-Ready Composer. If you select a bunch of text with the Text tool and switch composers (in the Justification dialog, or in the flyout menu from the Paragraph panel) does your layout change at all? It seems to happen more often to me with hanging indents, e.g. bulleted or numbered paragraphs. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 03, 2022 Sep 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was hopeful that a switch to World-Ready Composer might work, not as hopeful that Chinese warplanes would stop entering our air defense zone here in Taiwan, but close. Alas, no change this time, on either front.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines