Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Input Scale Selection

Explorer ,
Jun 27, 2022 Jun 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone, 

I'm having some issues trying to scale elements from one document to another by manually digiting a numerical input.

Here's an example:

In the first image (origin document from where I'm copying the elements) everything is correctly sized and with the right proportions. 
When I move the selection (ctrl+C / V) to the new document and I manually digit the measurements I want the selection to be... it just got clipped as shown in the 2nd image.

A solution could be scaling using a percentage value, but it's usually less precise than a numerical input.

TOPICS
Import and export , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 27, 2022 Jun 27, 2022

I have a feeling you are using the width and height fields to scale the image rather then athe verical and horizontal scale fields. The former change only the size of the frame, the latter change the entire object.

The scale fields are found in the Control Panel to the right of the width and height fields and are marked with vertical and horizontal arrows. When you first select the object thos fields should read 100%, and you can enter percentage values to scale, or if you have an exact size you

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deselect all what you do not want to copy, instead of paste, paste in place and then transform to the new values.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Willi Adelberger , I've tried your method... but it doesn't work.

Here's the attached video:

https://streamable.com/4matt9

I'm trying to convert an entire document 16.9 (1920x1080) into a printable format (320x180mm) with facing pages.
I need to resize all of the pages from one document to another but when I put the numeric input... the content is clipped as shown in the video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a feeling you are using the width and height fields to scale the image rather then athe verical and horizontal scale fields. The former change only the size of the frame, the latter change the entire object.

The scale fields are found in the Control Panel to the right of the width and height fields and are marked with vertical and horizontal arrows. When you first select the object thos fields should read 100%, and you can enter percentage values to scale, or if you have an exact size you need you can enter that along withthe unit of measure (in, mm. pt, etc) and InDesign will scale to that size, then conver to the percenatge value.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You were right! This solved the issue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines