Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Insert a text with emojis – missing glyphs

New Here ,
Dec 08, 2021 Dec 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I'm working on a project which is based on a chat protocole from what's app.

The text is full of normal letters and of course emojis.

When I copy-paste the text into Indesign, I get the "missing glyph" cross symbol whenever an emoji appears. 

My text font is Calibri, which apparently doesn't hold glyphs for the emojis. Which means I always have to select the emoji manually and switch to Apple Color Emoji. As there are lost of emojis, this takes ages.

Is there a way to automate it? For example searching for "missing glyphs"?

Thanks!!!

TOPICS
Feature request , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 08, 2021 Dec 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There is more than one way to automate it - I personally use a script to automatically mark all missing-glyph characters with a given font, which you could use. It works great, but you'd need to be able to edit it yourself. If I recall correctly, one needs to edit the script in order to change the font used to replace. I can track it down if you're interested; I think it's a Peter Kahrel script. (... yep! It is! Looks like he's made a new version since I last downloaded it.)

However, if you were placing documents into ID instead of copying & pasting, you wouldn't have this problem to begin with. Also, it's typically much faster, depending on what your source is. Where are you copying & pasting from? Placing instead of copying and pasting would be much faster, and would most likely induce fewer errors, and you wouldn't have to rely on post-processing with JS. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines