Install version of InDesign 2021 - version 16.2

Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2021 Nov 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I'm new here, my name is Marleen.

I have a question.

I am now working in Adobe InDesign 2021 'version 16.4'.
I have to go back to 'version 16.2' due to circumstances.

Is there anyone who can help me on a install version Adobe InDesign 2021 'version 16.2' or a download link to this earlier version?

At Adobe, the download link is no longer available for version 16.2.

thank you in advance for your response.

Marleen

TOPICS
Activation billing and install

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What circumstances exactly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2021 Nov 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello, thanks for your responses. the circumstances were that certain plugins only work with version 16.2. I have now found an installation version. I've had human contact with Adobe before but they couldn't do anything for me. thanks for now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tha's interesting, plugins are not compatible across major versions but they do work across minor versions so a plugin for InDesign version 16 should work with versions 16.xx.xx. Can you check with the developer of the plugin, there has to be some other issue in my opinion.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version 16 is the rare case with changes on the minor version number - it's 16.2 rather than 16.0.2 .

Last time we had something similar was CS5 vs CS5.5 .

While the plug-ins are mostly compatible, some 16.x brought a newer "boost" regexp library so effectively the older version symbols are missing, and vice versa. A plug-in referring to that library would only work in matching minor versions. I think with a different 16.x there was also a similar problem with some other library.

Also the later 16.3 / 16.4 used a newer compiler (adding M1 support) asking for further trouble. It required linking with a differen OSX API (10.14?) which caused different security checks - e.g. talking to other applications via AppleScript would not work for 16.3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Dirk Becker thanks for reminding this, I do remember reading here or on Slack regarding the boost version change causing crashes. Exceptions do exist and this is one such case after CS5.5 so I stand corrected.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the cicrumstances are unavoidable somehow then I think you will have to contact support as Adobe no longer ships installers for applications so there is very slim chance someone would have the minor upgrades in the form of installers.

To contact support, login to your account and navigate to the URL below. Make sure that the browser has cookies enabled, and all script blockers are disabled.
https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?rghtup=autoOpen
Type AGENT to avoid bots and talk to a human.
Also, be mindful of answering anyone who sends you a private message. See the following for more information about scammers
https://tinyurl.com/y7cfrr7y
-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marleen,

if you have a backup of the InDesign folder with version 16.2 you simply can exchange the new folder with InDesign 16.4 with the old one from 16.2. That should work. Before you are doing this make a backup of the current folder with InDesign 16.4.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"if you have a backup of the InDesign folder with version 16.2 you simply can exchange the new folder with InDesign 16.4 with the old one from 16.2. That should work. Before you are doing this make a backup of the current folder with InDesign 16.4."

I'm a bit confused by this, Uwe. It's always been my experience that the incremental updates always write over the earlier incremental versions of the program. I know that when I updated from the original version 16 to the more recent updates of it, I was simply presented with the word update in my Creative Cloud Desktop app and it began running a progress bar immediately with no options presented. Are you talking about some kind of Time machine backup of the InDesign application folder or was it different when upgrading from 16.2 to 16.3 (which was the first version to work natively on M1 computers)? Since my machine is Intel based I've kept it at 16.2.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Are you talking about some kind of Time machine backup of the InDesign application folder"

Exactly. Don't know what's the operating system ROC TOP is on and if on Mac OS if TimeMachine is used…

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines