Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Installed fonts showing up as missing after update

Explorer ,
Mar 31, 2022 Mar 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone. 
Yesterday I have updated InDesign and decided to delete also the cache just to make things work faster. 
After that, several fonts I have frequantly used for years are showing up as missing, even though they are in the Adobe font folder. The fonts perfectly work in other Adobe software like Illustrator and Photoshop. 
I tried to install and uninstall InDesign, install and uninstall the fonts. Didn't work.

Now all my work is stuck because I used those fonts. I've contacted Adobe Support, which kept redirecting me from agent to agent for 2.5 hours. I spoke with 7 people. The last one said that I will receive a callback in 24 to 48 hours, which is ridiculous, as my clients are waiting, and I have already wasted 2.5 hours answering the questions of agents who couldn't help me. 

I've seen a similar bug addressed in the forum, but no answers or solutions were mentioned, so I am sharing this issue again with the hope that anyone here experienced this and found a solution. 

Thanks in advance for any advice. 

TOPICS
Bug , Print , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Hi All,

We appreciate your patience. The issue is fixed with the latest InDesign version (17.2.1). Please update InDesign to the latest version and see if that helps. 

If you still experience the issue on the 17.2.1 version, then please try resetting the preferences. It will fix the issue.

Let us know if you need further assistance. We'd be happy to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been reported by several posters. Apparently a bug has crept into 17.2. Roll back to the previous version for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And thank you to Brad@RoaringMouse for a simple answer and workaround!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Brad, thank you so much. I just reverted to the old version, converted my file to an older version and it works!!

It is crazy that none of the 7 agents told me to do so before they contact me with a solution. 
You saved me from a nervous breakdown 🙂 Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"It is crazy that none of the 7 agents told me to do so before they contact me with a solution"

This is the good thing about forums like this; we, the "front line", tend to know when there's a problem before the Tech Support do, especially when a point release JUST comes down the pipe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Time to rollback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What the... why did rolling back remove all my settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you uninstall a version it always asks you if you want to keep your preferences or remove them. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't uninstall, I rolled back from 17.2 to 17.1 and it never asked me about my preferences. I've seen it ask when I uninstall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you happen to still have InDesign 2021 installed on your machine, you can copy the /Users/(username)/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/Version 16.0/en_US folder to /Users/(username)/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/Version 17.0/en_US to get most of your preferences back, assuming you migrate the same settings from version to version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I had already fiugured it out. I could use Migrate Settings in the Edit menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. That happened to me and i spent 4 hours trying to do all of the ways to make it work.  Thanks - I just rolled back and it's working. Better get at it - have clients waiting! Sheesh...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, and what is ridiculous, is that none of the 7 agents I spoke to, never suggested going back to the previous version, before they callback with a solution. I now received an email that they scheduled a call in 4 days. It's a joke. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd love to be able to bill Adobe for all of the time I spend chasing their bugs...or "feature enhancements" that screw things up. They have no concept of what it is to use their products in a client-driven production environment. It must be great to have a virtual monopoly on an industry and not really care about the end users while gladly collecting those monthly subscription fees.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel you. 
It is also frustrating that you have to spend hours speaking to their support agents, and none of them understands what you are speaking to them. They keep redirecting you to another agent, and to another...and hours later you find out that none of them can help, and then you need to wait 5 days so someone from a technical team calls you...this is not a new bug, this keeps happening to the users for years. I see posts from 2017 with the exact same issue, 5 years with updates, and they still can't solve the issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've called support exactly once in 25+ years of using their products and that was enough to ensure that I would never call again. They talk to you like you're a child and waste time going over the most basic of things to try that you would have already tried prior to calling them. Then when you tell them what prepress or production-related task you're trying to perform, they have no concept of what you're talking about. It's a complete joke. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ya, like the time about a month ago when Adobe Fonts just stopped syncing completely for a day or 2. I couldn't work on any projects that needed fonts enabled.

Even the little bits of time I've wasted here and there in the past week, waited upwards of 10 minutes for fonts to sync, or quit/restart etc hoping it would get the fonts to enable through InDesign only to give up and find them manually on the website. What is my subscription fee paying for?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait until it gets to the point next year when it is easier for a client to use Adobe Fonts instead of finding and paying for straight replacements of their old Type 1 fonts. Then when Adobe Fonts goes down again, you have no other option. The best part about when Adobe Fonts went down was that they deemed it a "minor" issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

please comment and vote for fixing the bug at InDesign UserVoice:

installed font missing InDesign 17.2 macOS 12.3 (Monterey) and macOS Catalina
Tom Moulaert, Mar 29, 2022
https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/44970238-installed-font...

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uwe,

Almost all of the newly discovered bugs and issues get posted here by both beginners and pros. The uservoice forum is a wasteful extra step, users are making their complaints known right here! Adobe take notice and move faster on these concerns!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disagreed.

The developers are looking into UserVoice first.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disagree more. Making users create a seperate login for a seperate forum to 'vote' on fixing yet another bug (that we are paying the montly fees to Beta test) is onerous. And certainly does little to improve the image of Adobe as arrogant and dismissive of customers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Considering that Adobe hasn't formally acknowledged this bug and it's been reported for over a week, I'd say that they do not take the appropriate notice in the support community.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought I was going nuts! Thanks for posting this, or I wouldv'e changed everything!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally got a call from the Technical team today (after around 90h of contacting them). 
They just told me that if reverting to the older version works for me, I should just keep using the old version (16.4), and they happily closed the case. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines