• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Interactive: Button vs. Radio Button - oops!

New Here ,
Jul 29, 2021 Jul 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just built a 40 page document full of interactivity. For every button I have, it's set to change color on hover. looks beautiful in the PDF. However when I built the button, I accidentally selected "radio button" (then copied and pasted from there across the whole doc!). When I go to each one and change it to just "button", it loses all the hover design I gave it, plus the link it was supposed to go to. 

Is there a way to change the appears of a radio button to how I have it designed? Do I have to start over?? 😞

TOPICS
How to , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jul 30, 2021 Jul 30, 2021

Short answer: start over, but be aware that hover effects are worthless on mobile devices and don't work on many third-party PDF viewer apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor , Jul 30, 2021 Jul 30, 2021

To add to what Bob says, buttons in PDFs are not supported across devices and platforms. Can you use Publish Online for this project instead? It supports all of InDesign's interactive features and can be viewed from any browser. The document resides on Adobe Cloud servers, which may or may not be an issue for you. Check out these examples of many beautifully-designed interactive documents created with ID and Publish Online: http://bit.ly/PubOnCollection

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 30, 2021 Jul 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Short answer: start over, but be aware that hover effects are worthless on mobile devices and don't work on many third-party PDF viewer apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The question is "what do you really need?" Buttons and Radio buttons serve different purposes.

A Radio button is a group of more than one option, and limits the user to selecting only one option within the group. A radio button is used for data collection.

A button, can be used to trigger other events. And more importantly from what you described, can retain the on, off and rollover appearances set within Indesign.

Please note, Radio buttons will not retain Indesign appearance, and will use Acrobat Property appearance when viewing the PDF in Acrobat/Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To add to what Bob says, buttons in PDFs are not supported across devices and platforms. Can you use Publish Online for this project instead? It supports all of InDesign's interactive features and can be viewed from any browser. The document resides on Adobe Cloud servers, which may or may not be an issue for you. Check out these examples of many beautifully-designed interactive documents created with ID and Publish Online: http://bit.ly/PubOnCollection

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines