Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Interactive Elements Not Showing on Chrome

New Here ,
Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all!

I'm here again with some interactive issues. It may well bog down to the answer we all have and think "Interactive PDFs are an unreliable wildcard" but maybe there's a fix I'm not thinking. So here it goes:

I'm creating an interactive PDF. In one of my pages I have a couple of buttons that display different information, depending on which one you click. Each button shows the relevant information, and hides the information not relevant.

My text boxes with the information are made into buttons, and are hidden until triggered. On top of these, I have a cover that gets hidden when clicked on any of the buttons.

Since within the relevant info for each button there's links, and they are buttons, I had to create separate buttons that serve as those links.

So my problem is: I managed to tie it all together and it works great on Desktop and Edge, but for some reason on Google Chrome, those link buttons aren't letting me click on them.

I'm adding two images to give you an idea of the layout, but let me know if you need more specific images. Mind you, the design has been simplified and sanitized.

By playing around with the interactive tab order, I got them working on Chrome, but by doing so, it stopped working on Desktop. It's like I'm trying to stop a leak on a sinking ship, but everytime I stop a leak, a new pops out.

I have layered bottom to top, and set my articles top to bottom. Accessibility is working just fine. But it's those darn links that refuse to submit.

I can't publish online, due to client request, so that's off the table.

If anybody has any idea what to try or what's up, send help!

Thanks!

TOPICS
How to , Performance , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds like something I'd probably set up with the Action Show/Hide button.

You don't say exactly how you've set this up.

Can you provide a simple subset sample in an InDesign file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's set up exactly that way, with a logic based approach to showing and hiding buttons. And I think the root of the issue lies there, because when structuring the tab order of the interactivity, I have managed to get it working on Chrome (but not desktop) and vice versa. What I can't figure out is how to make BOTH work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't rely on these kinds of actions in Interactive PDFs - they won't work, for example, on mobile devices, such as smart phones and tablets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to say, but iPDF: simply forget it. Will only work in Acrobat and even then...

If it is to be viewed in a browser, use HTML/Publish online.

iPDF is asking for problems, just forget it. Really: forget it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 23, 2022 Apr 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You answered your own question in the first paragraph. You might just as well give this up now if you expect to get it to work anywhere but Acrobat or Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I know you stated your client will not allow the use of Publish Online. Too bad, it would be perfect for this. Here are some great examples: http://bit.ly/PubOnCollection

Is the reason that the content is hosted on Adobe servers? Interesting to know when folks don't want to use it. There is also In5, which would let you host on your own servers: https://ajarproductions.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines