• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Interactive forms. The browsers dont restrict the text that the user fills in within the text box

New Here ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created interactive pdf forms in InDesign. And set a maximum number of characters

limit in the fields that can be filled in Acrobat. Nevertheless, it is possible to fill in characters

outside this box in the various browsers. And this text will not be visible. (Acrobat Reader and Pro limits the text that the user enters within the text box.) What can I do? I have

I have unchecked the non-scrollable button in "Buttons and and fields" in Indesign.

Lise 

TOPICS
Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many PDF readers, such as those built into browsers, do not support advanced PDF features. There's not much you can do about that except tell your users to use a specific PDF reader (Adobe's own PDF reader for desktop computers is the only really reliable one in this regard).

If all you need is for the reader to respect the "number of characters" option, you can do some trial and error to see which readers do support that, and add those to the list of recommended ones for your PDFs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick and clarifying answer!
Best Lise

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to expand on that a bit. When you export, you will notice that InDesign specifies that you are exporting an Adobe PDF. That is not by accident.

If you need forms filled out in a browser, you would be far better off creating an HTML form. Depending upon the platform your website is built on this can be very easy with a plugin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! The forms need to be prinable for the users and filled out by hand. And they must be able to fill them out electronically. It must be possible to send them in both by post and electronically.
About your suggestion; Is that
is something I can fix in InDesign? (The website is on EPI.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is absolutely nothing you can do in InDesign or anywhere else. All you can do is force the PDF to download and give users directions to use Adobe Acrobat or Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Allright!

Good to hear that I dont have to do more research on this, for sure 🙂

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines