Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Interactive PDF buttons disappearing and slow to respond

Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2021 Oct 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm having trouble with a file that I have not experienced with prior versions. It is created from InDesign and output as an interactive PDF. When viewed on screen the funtionality can be painfully slow in response to page arrow clicks. The "Home" button disapears at times. On the ToC, I get a box the shape of the button that is a preview of the page its supposed to jump to. See screen grabs for these issues.

I've plowed through the forums and see similar questions but no hard answers to solve the issue. Please let me know if you have any troubleshooting ideas. Thanks

Will

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export , Performance , Publish online , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You haven't found ways to fix it because there are none. The whole thing is wonky at best and is not related to InDesign but to the interactive PDF format itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zoinks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's odd though, because it was working just fine for me up until a few months ago. So something in Acrobat's most recent updates seems to have broken this functionality. At least on the MAC side of things. When I test my button links on my PC-side, the interactivity performs correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exact same issue - on a MAC, latest MacOS, latest versions of all things Adobe. Hover states no longer appear for buttons, there's a huge lag on the response from buttons, and I'm also having the same issue with clicks of buttons creating a box the shape of the button that is a preview of the page its supposed to jump to. All of this worked fine for me until a few weeks ago and all of a sudden, it no longer functions. Has anybody found any fix? Or any ideas to troubleshoot as the original poster asked? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please re-read my original response to this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bob, is there any fix you are aware that can be applied in Adobe Acrobat in that case? It's just odd that it always worked until now - I am almost at sign off point with a document and now it suddenly doesn't work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. Interactive PDF is an awful format for anything like this. If my client approached me about something like this, I'd turn down the job.

Hover effects as you already discovered are wonky to begin with even in Acrobat and they don't work at all in many third-party reader apps, browsers and mobile devices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that Flash is obsolete, some features in Interactive PDFs have changed – you can have a word or words or an image (such as a button shape) as a document hyperlink to say another page in the document, or to an external website. Some devices, for example, iPads, don't have rollover capability – only click – you should avoid multi-action buttons like On Click, On Roll Over, etc.  Multi-state objects (MSO) don’t work at all in Interactive PDFs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's irrelevant in this case. Hover effects never had anything to do with Flash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was really making a point about buttons. (the mention of Flash was to cover other things, such as video).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay. Just wanted it to be clear for others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for replying. So in effect, I can't use buttons in my indesign document if I will export as a PDF? It seems fine if I publish online but even without a hover state and just the action of going to a bookmarked page, it glitches - there is a huge lag in response before the link takes the user to the page and then there is also this button shaped preview (like a kind of transparency through to the page it's meant to jump to) that flashes up (and sometimes also prevents the link working). If I understand correctly, I will simply have to stick to hyperlinks, even for page navigation (such as page arrows)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup. Buttons are awful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 20, 2022 Jan 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES, Rachel, this used to work!
Acrobat SHOULD be a business-level software, but doesn’t act like it.

The entire PDF page disappears for several second when I hover over a link on Mac. This is ridiculous!
For a long time, I did live with a box appearing around a link, but at least the page didn’t disappear and the links worked well.

I sent my PDF to someone who is also on Mac, but has the 2019 version of Acrobat. IT WORKED FINE!
Well, I can’t send this file to anyone because they might be using a Mac with the faulty versions of Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Rachel - sorry, only just seen this thread:

I experienced the same issue after an Acrobat upgrade... I now use 'On Focus (PDF)' to trigger events (rather than 'On Click') and it seems to have resolved most of the problems?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2021 Dec 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue's. nice that adobe creates programs that does not work well. I contactes Adobe but support is not that great. Now I have to disappoint my client. This costs me a lot of money

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can have a button shape in an Interactive PDF as a hyperlink to another page in a document or to an external website, it just won't work as a rollover button on mobile devices. If you don't know this is hardlly Adobe's fault.

By the way, in 2007 Adobe released PDF format into the care of the International Organization for Standardization (ISO). Since then, the ISO has controlled specifications for PDF, with Adobe advising the ISO team to offer technical input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would it be an option for you to use Publish Online instead? It doesn't have the problems with interactivity that have been mentioned about PDFs in various replies here. And doesn't require a special reader, just a browser is all that's needed. Here are some great sample documents: http://bit.ly/PubOnCollection

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines