• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Interactive pdf return to previous viewed page?

New Here ,
Jul 25, 2023 Jul 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have a lengthly interactive pdf. My client would like to add a button on every page so that the user can return to the previously viewed page. This would not be just "previous page" (like going from page 2 to 1) It would link back to whichever page in the document that they were just viewing before the current page. Does that make sense? Is this possible?

We already have on every page interactive chapter tabs, a home button and previous and next.

thank you for your help!

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use "Go to Previous View" instead of "Go to Previous Page" action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This worked! I feel so silly because I was SURE I looked for this in the button choices. Thank you for mentioning it and making me look again.

Screenshot 2023-07-25 at 7.58.23 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can set the button properties in Acrobat to have a button return the user to the previous view or last page. In Acrobat, go to Tools> Prepare Form> Right click on a button to bring up the button properties, Select Action: Execute a menu item, click Add, then select a menu item.

Also, interactive pdfs should be viewed with Acrobat or Reader only.

previous view.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! So, there's not a way to do it in InDesign? This document is over 100 pages and I'd like to have it in the master page. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generally, Acrobat has better tools for editing interactive pdfs, however, the page navigation selections appear to be the same, so you can create the button on the master page. I was incorrectly assuming the "Last page" option would bring you to the last page you looked at, where it would actually bring you to the last document page. You might take a look at the Acrobat forum, there may be a script you can add to a button command that would send the viewer to the previously viewed page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And be aware that most of this won't work except with Acrobat or Reader on a desktop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines