• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Invisible section break?

New Here ,
Jul 21, 2017 Jul 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indesign newbie, and a question about restarting page breaks.

I have a quote collection that I have decided to maintain in InDesign. The first page has an opening blurb, then the quotes follow.

Standard two-page spread stuff. Not a big deal, right? Sort of...

I am not really sure what I have done to myself with this, though. The first page (blurb) ends with a pound sign (#) and I am not really sure how it got there.

On the second page, when I try to insert the numbering, I get the following error message:

InDesign is confusing me 2017-07-21_17-37-39.png

I assumed that the message mean that I had already placed a section break in the 3rd page. But I just can't find the little bugger.

What should I be looking for to resolve this? I just want the first page to say "i" and the second to start with "1". I am making this much harder than it needs to be.

Help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 21, 2017 Jul 21, 2017

First of all the # symbol you got at the end of your blurb is merely a character that InDesign inserts after the final text that is contained in a  frame that is not part of a text thread.

Secondly the warning that you got is one that you get when you have set up more than one section in a document. You'll get it if you try to navigate, print or export as a pdf a page in a section which has the same number used as one in another section. Sections can be set up using a unique prefix so that they c

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all the # symbol you got at the end of your blurb is merely a character that InDesign inserts after the final text that is contained in a  frame that is not part of a text thread.

Secondly the warning that you got is one that you get when you have set up more than one section in a document. You'll get it if you try to navigate, print or export as a pdf a page in a section which has the same number used as one in another section. Sections can be set up using a unique prefix so that they can be navigated to using their prefix. See the screen shot below for more information about sections:

SECTIONS.png

Every page of a document that is the beginning of a section will have a black triangle above it in the Pages Panel as in the picture above. In the Numbering & Section Options dialog which can be obtained through the Pages Panel pull-down menu you can add the prefix needed for that section. You can also indicate what number will start the section. If you no longer want the section just uncheck "Start Section". In a document with sections pages can also be navigated to by using their actual number in the document but inserting a + sign in front of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to clarify that. The # is an end of story symbol. It will appear at the end of every story regardless of whether the text is in threaded text frames or stand alone frames.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While all of what you have said is true (and thanks for the lessons) once I get the page number to reset I then end up with a layout that looks like thisInDesign 2017-07-21_19-27-21.png

And I would really prefer if the document looked more like the master pages section. Suggestions on fixing this layout issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To avoid the split spread make sure that "Allow Document Pages To Shuffle" is unchecked in the Pages Panel pull-down. See screen shot:

Screen Shot 2017-07-21 at 10.04.12 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2017 Jul 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for all of your help. I really appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You have no idea how much this helped me after hours of head scratching, trying, searching ... Sanity saved! Thank you! (I ran into the same thing as the OP). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines