• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is InDesign still an important part of the Creative Suite?

New Here ,
Sep 20, 2022 Sep 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I’m reaching out to find out if you’re still considering InDesign to be an important part of the Creative Suite or if you were letting it die slowly? Over the last couple years, InDesign has been the buggiest software and it does not seems to improve, instead, it’s getting worst. Please let me know, I’m looking forward to hearing from you. Thank you.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 22, 2022 Sep 22, 2022

Hi @lakombolab ,

best report specific bugs you see at InDesign UserVoice.

Or, maybe even better, join InDesign Prerelease and discuss and report the bugs there.

InDesign UserVoice Bug Reporting:

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs

How to join InDesign Prerelease:

NOTE: Scroll down to the link for InDesign, not for InDesign Developer Prereleases or InDesign Family SDK Download Program.

How to Join Creative Cloud Prerelease Programs
Erin Finnegan, Oct 18, 2019, UPDA

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are 2 options:

1. Report the bug here

2. Post in the forum, providing sufficient information that others may be able to assist you, or help in determining the issue is a bug. If it is a bug, see step 1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @lakombolab ,

We're so sorry to hear about the trouble. Let me assure you that our engineering team is committed to working on new features and also improving the stability of the product. Could you please share what bug you're experiencing at your end, so we can troubleshoot and report it to the team if needed? We'll need the version of InDesign & OS and a short description of the issue. We'll try our best to assist you with this.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2022 Sep 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Rishabh,

System:

macOS Monterey (same issue on Catalina)

2.3Ghz 8-core Intel Core i9

32GB 2667 Mhz DDR4

AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

InDesign v 17.4

There are a few, here are the one that happen most often…

• Select a shape > Color Box recognize it as a text box
  • Select a text box > Color Box recognize it as a shape box
  • Crash (often)  when moving pages around 
  • Text don’t change color when picking a different color > Select the text box, pick “T” in color box, choose the color; the text color does not change, I have double click the box to see the color change. 
  • Text don’t change color when picking a different color > same as previously mentioned, but in some instance, the text is invisible until I double click on the text box (so the text is black. I change it to blue, it become invisible. Double click the text box, it turns blue)
  • Double click the text box, the text is blue but the color box says it’s black. I change the color in the color box, the selected text is not changing (the box or the text)
  • The software refuse to close / Refuse to force Close / Refuse to reboot the machine “InDesign has stopped restart… please close InDesign”

No issue with Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere, After Effect…

I hope I make sense. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My reading here is that there is one bug, relating to text color in several ways, plus the crash/restart issue.

The latter can have a number of causes and is not rare, but nearly always traces to system/resource/OS/driver issues outside of ID. ID issues that lead to crashing are, in my experience, fixed with the highest priority.

The color problem is absolutely unique in my experience and hearing. But there is probably a simple solution, as there is for many such instances of weird, glitchy behavior: reset InDesign's preferences. If the prefs get corrupted, all kinds of bizarre and inexplicable things happen — menus disappear or go blank, document elements can't be selected, colors get mismapped. You can call this an overall "bug" if you like, but most software has similar points of malfunction if preference, setting and cache files get corrupted, which can happen for many system, user and random reasons.

I suggest you reset your ID preferences, following the info in the article below, and see if it cures the text color problem and the crashing. Let us know how it goes.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/reset-indesign-preferences-and-other-troubleshoo...

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2022 Sep 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ID preferences were reset before coming here. Thanks for your note though, I really apreciate it when you try to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would help if you could give us some information about these so-called bugs. Also, indicate your version of InDesign and OS plus system details. Most professionals don't seem to have the issues you're having.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Derek.

System:

macOS Monterey (same issue on Catalina)

2.3Ghz 8-core Intel Core i9

32GB 2667 Mhz DDR4

AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

InDesign v 17.4

There are a few, here are the one that happen most often…

• Select a shape > Color Box recognize it as a text box
  • Select a text box > Color Box recognize it as a shape box
  • Crash (often)  when moving pages around 
  • Text don’t change color when picking a different color > Select the text box, pick “T” in color box, choose the color; the text color does not change, I have double click the box to see the color change. 
  • Text don’t change color when picking a different color > same as previously mentioned, but in some instance, the text is invisible until I double click on the text box (so the text is black. I change it to blue, it become invisible. Double click the text box, it turns blue)
  • Double click the text box, the text is blue but the color box says it’s black. I change the color in the color box, the selected text is not changing (the box or the text)
  • The software refuse to close / Refuse to force Close / Refuse to reboot the machine “InDesign has stopped restart… please close InDesign”

No issue with Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere, After Effect…

I hope I make sense. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you really expect Adobe to answer that question in any way except to say, "Of course it is an important part of the CC?"? One thing I noticed on the forums is jumping to conclusions to call something a bug when it's a problem on the user's system, such as outdated GPU drivers. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Relax man… YES I was asking that question, and YES, I did got the answer to my question, and I can now look into it further. One thing I noticed on most forums is people like you, jumping to conclusions on any posts to call out scenario they don't know jack about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 22, 2022 Sep 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to relax as well.

InDesign is not free of bugs, but most serious ones are fixed fairly quickly, and there are very few bugs that are not well known to forum regulars, who arw also familiar with a lot of common configuration problems or software conflicts, or even misunderstandings of how the program works, that look like bugs to some users, but are actually thinngs that are easily corrected by the user themself. The only way to know is to get a full description, and sometime test files for analysis.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish I had a dollar for every person that screamed "BUG" when the application was working exactly as designed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You’re so cool, a true inspiration for us all…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>>One thing I noticed on most forums is people like you, jumping to conclusions...

Your entire original post was a massive "jump to a conclusion" without any supporting data. 

I'm going to relax now...

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Conclusion: A decision reached by reasoning.

Question: A sentence worded so as to elicit information.

Glad to hear you’re going to relax… You can also keep moving now, thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not to escalate the debate here, but the amount of jack here is probably close to incalculable.

And the amount of cheesing about issues in the OP was... excessive. You'll get more help, more quickly and more usefully, by simply describing the problems you're encountering instead of insisting the whole platform is worthless because you can't color some text blue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here come another genius with too much time on his hands… I’m sure you don’t want to escalate anything, you’re obviously just bored, and clearly have nothing to say. Talking about worthless… Thanks for the laugh! Now if you don’t mind, keep moving, I’m sure you’ll find someone to interact with…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You do realize you're not on 4chan, right?

Best of luck with whatever ultramodern, relevant tool you choose for your future projects!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @lakombolab ,

best report specific bugs you see at InDesign UserVoice.

Or, maybe even better, join InDesign Prerelease and discuss and report the bugs there.

InDesign UserVoice Bug Reporting:

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs

How to join InDesign Prerelease:

NOTE: Scroll down to the link for InDesign, not for InDesign Developer Prereleases or InDesign Family SDK Download Program.

How to Join Creative Cloud Prerelease Programs
Erin Finnegan, Oct 18, 2019, UPDATE July 24th, 2020

https://blog.developer.adobe.com/how-to-join-creative-cloud-prerelease-programs-ccecc10ae7d3

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Expert )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, I apreciate it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines