• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it normal for InDesign to take over a minute to open on a 2017 iMac running Big Sur 11.5.2?

Participant ,
Sep 11, 2021 Sep 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My computer seems to have slowed down noticeably after some OS update.  It is a 2017 iMac 8 GBs of RAM and a Fusion hard drive.  It takes over a minute to open InDesign and a project.  Has anyone else experienced this and is there a cure?

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please confirm you have the latest version of ID installed? There was an update on this.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/indesign-2021-on-mac-big-sur-is-extremely-slow/t...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running InDesign 16.4, which seems to be the latest version,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a probability that you need to reset preferences. Here is how:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/reset-indesign-preferences-and-other-troubleshoo...

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 12, 2021 Sep 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear aout your experience. In addition to the helpful suggestions given by Diane & Mike, please try creating a new user account on you macOS & see if you see a difference in the performance of the app there.

Additionally, you may follow the instructions given on this community post to improve the performance . Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 19, 2021 Sep 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did a clean re-install, but of course I had to migrate my data from a backup.  I reset InDesign's preferences and have spent a lot of time restoring things to be the way I want them.  Performance may have improved somewhat, but it still takes a minute to open the app and a large document.  Other apps like Photoshop and Filemaker also open slowly.  For now I am just living with it, and I can only guess that it has something to do with cacheing or compressed memory or disk space.  I have First Aid on the disk several times.  I don't know enough to interpret what Activity Monitor says is going on when I open the app.  I appreciate the efforts to help with this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign launches in 7 sec on my 2019 iMac and 13 sec on my late 2012 iMac, so over a minute would not be normal. Both are running Mojave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

8 GB of RAM isn't really enough and how much spare hard disk capacity do you have?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My internal drive has 250 GBs of free space.  It is a 1 TB drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just timed it again.  Opening InDesign without trying to open a document takes over a minute to get past the splash screen to the point where I have the choice of opening a previous document or creating a new one.  Even then it gets a spinning beachball a couple of time when I try to scroll down to select a document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My 2012 iMac opening in 13sec only has 8GB, so it seems like it might be Big Sur related. Did you try @Ashutosh_Mishra suggestion of creating a new user account? Have you tried a safe boot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Derek pointed out, 8GB of RAM is half the recommended amount. It's a reasonably cheap upgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 20, 2021 Sep 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Apple store says a 16GB module is $400 and a 32GB module is $800.  That does not include installation, and it's not my idea of "reasonably cheap."  I could buy the memory from some other source for less but installing it on a 2107 iMac involves removing the display and I question whether I want anybody other than an Apple technician doing that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW, I just built a new machine. 64 GB of RAM cost me less than $300.

That out of the way, you, unfortunately, bought an horribly underpowered machine. 8GB is barely enough for the operating system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you built a Mac for less than $300, I'd sure like to hear how.  And I still don't understand why I don't have enough RAM if I have 1.95 GBs of RAM used for Cached Files.  I suspect a lot of these cached files could be trashed and just reloaded as required.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I didn't build a Mac, I build my own PC and it was the RAM that cost $300. Sorry if you misunderstood.

Back to your issue. Does it take a minute to start up if you close it and open it again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When InDesign opens one of my documents which has 810 photos on 237 pages, Activity Monitor says it is using 1,25 GBs of RAM.  It says the Swap Used is 0 bytes and it says Memory Used by everything is 6.02 GBs.  Cached Files use 1.95 GB, but I have no idea what files are being cached or how I control the amount of memory being used to cache files rather than run the current app.  I don't see why I need more than GBs of ram to work in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If InDesign is taking over a minute to simply launch, the problem isn’t RAM there’s something going on with your system. As I mentioned above I have a much older 2012 iMac with 8GB and InDesign works just fine on it for light work.

Does the delayed launch happen with a safe boot—starting up with the shift key down?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may not be InDesign causing it. What else is running on that machine? I'd try creating a new user account and then start InDesign from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I tried it with a new user running nothing else and it still took over a minute to load InDesign.  Most of the time is spent with the splash screen displaying a series of messages about what it is loading.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines