• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to combine vertical and horizontal baseline grids in same text thread?

Contributor ,
Mar 21, 2022 Mar 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac OS, ID 2021

Working on a book in Chinese and English language. Have accomplished combination layout previously by breaking the text threads, but am wondering if is possible to keep as one continuous threaded story.

Am attempting to use the "story" setting within an object style to change one baseline grid to vertical, while the rest are horizontal.

Funny thing is that when a left-hand page (which is where the vertical text is needed) is changed to vertical layout, the right-hand page switches too. 

TOPICS
Feature request , How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Mar 26, 2022 Mar 26, 2022

Hi -- Didn't get a notification -- thank you and apologies for delayed reply! 

I do mean the Asian grid. (I have the Asian settings turned on with English UI.) When the Asian text settings are exposed, the user has more options in several places, including the direction of the baseline grid (under "story options") in object styles.

In case anyone else comes across this post, Adobe tech support says having both horizontal and vertical baseline grids in the same text thread is not possible. (That

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 21, 2022 Mar 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean the Asian grid or a 90° turned baseline grid for Western text?

With Asian versions I have no experience, the only I knwo is to have a Asian version installed.

If you need to use a western baseline grid turned, you can apply a specific baseline grid to an object style and apply it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 26, 2022 Mar 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi -- Didn't get a notification -- thank you and apologies for delayed reply! 

I do mean the Asian grid. (I have the Asian settings turned on with English UI.) When the Asian text settings are exposed, the user has more options in several places, including the direction of the baseline grid (under "story options") in object styles.

In case anyone else comes across this post, Adobe tech support says having both horizontal and vertical baseline grids in the same text thread is not possible. (That was my experience, but confirmed with tech support.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines