• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to release an inline Anchored object in InDesign?

Community Expert ,
Mar 19, 2023 Mar 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey gang,

<begin rant>

I never noticed this before. You can anchor an object and later release it. But you cannot release an inline object! How is that not in the menu under Object > Anchored Object > (Release)? No, its grayed out. You gotta do it manually by cut and paste in place! All sixty of them, in my case. Or search for a script written by the venerable Dave Saunders. And it appears this has been the case for, what, 12 years?

Harrumpf!

<end rant>

<Title renamed by moderator>

Mike Witherell
TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Mike Witherell,

We understand your frustration with the inability to release inline objects in your design software. It can be frustrating when you have to manually perform a task that should be automated or easily accessible through a menu. 

However, it's always helpful to provide feedback as it can lead to improvements in future versions of the software. We will make sure to share your feedback with the team, and we would request you to submit the feedback on the InDesign Uservoice and share the link with us here as well for better visibility.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will certainly cast my vote on this. Liquid formatting is nice, but inline anchoring(a core function of this), is severely lacking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 23, 2023 Mar 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I did! This post is just for the purpose of drawing attention to inconsistency in the menu system.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Convert to 'Custom,' then Release. Not graceful, but it doesn't involve delete/re-Place. And should be scriptable.

So much about ID's anchoring feature needs some overdue TLC.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines