Is it possible to use # or [ in the filename generated by a script.

Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 17, 2022 Jan 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone. Being completely new in the world of scripting for Indesign I have a question and in my opinion it will not be the last!!! as in the topic of this post : Is it possible to use # or [ in the filename generated by a script.

It's a script made by an other guy and the client ask me if it's possible. I'm not really sure it's possible to ad # or [ in the filename generated by a script with a good export.

thank you

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jan 17, 2022 Jan 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you can. But my gut feeling is that avoid brackets are best avoided. No good argument for it though.

P.

PeterKahrel_0-1642443339978.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jan 18, 2022 Jan 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you @Peter Kahrel  That's what I thought but I prefer to tell my client to avoid this nomenclature with # and [ for a good execution of the script and to avoid errors.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If relevant, you can't use # in the name of a file on a web site. (This is a limitation of web sites, not InDesign).

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Alexandre,

didn't we have an issue discussed lately here in the forum where an InDesign document's file name was the cause for an issue with hyperlinks to external page destinations in other InDesign documents?

Ah yes, see:

Issue with creating Hyperlink to another indd document
N.Coward, Jan 14, 2022
https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/issue-with-creating-hyperlink-to-another-indd-do...

Quoting the OP from that thread:

"Looks like I have figured it out with..

My content page started with a hyphen ' - ' at the beginning of the file name. Removing that now lets me pick it as a document and link too and strangely now all the others ones work too."

Did not test this, but it seems one can run into issues with a hyphen at the start of a document's name.

So yes, I would avoid # and brackets in a file name.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines