Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is Text on a Path Broken? Can't move/edit anchor points after placing text

Engaged ,
Nov 14, 2022 Nov 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks

I have created a path, and placed text on it, but now I can't seem to select the anchor points with the Direct Selection tool to edit the path. I try clicking off the path, and then clicking anchor points, but this doesn't select the anchor point i.e. show bezier handles.

I used the same technique to edit a vector shape moments ago, but I can't get it to work with the path with text on.

I can edit the path without text on, but as soon as I add text on the path, the path becomes uneditable.

Is this a known issue, or am I missing something? I'm on InDesign 17.3 on Win 10 (until I finish this project).

Thanks in advance
Richard

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Nov 14, 2022 Nov 14, 2022

I'm not having a problem with this on my MacBook Pro running on Monterey in InDesign CC 2023 (18.0).

I've made my anchor points and handles larger in Preferences > User Interface Scaling:

Screen Shot 2022-11-14 at 10.27.55 AM.png

Here's the unedited path after I added text:

Screen Shot 2022-11-14 at 10.26.56 AM.png

Here I have used the Direct Selection tool to change the path shape:

Screen Shot 2022-11-14 at 10.27.19 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Here's my tip: click on the path (visible or with a stroke of none) where it is sticking out beyond the text content. If necessary, tighten up the text handles to expose the path as I show in the video below.

Alteratively, Control+click on the path to select it. Once you successfully select the path with the Direct Selection tool, you can the anchor points. 

~Barb

2022-11-18_08-59-30 (1).gif

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 14, 2022 Nov 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not having a problem with this on my MacBook Pro running on Monterey in InDesign CC 2023 (18.0).

I've made my anchor points and handles larger in Preferences > User Interface Scaling:

Screen Shot 2022-11-14 at 10.27.55 AM.png

Here's the unedited path after I added text:

Screen Shot 2022-11-14 at 10.26.56 AM.png

Here I have used the Direct Selection tool to change the path shape:

Screen Shot 2022-11-14 at 10.27.19 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @craftycurate,

Hope you're doing well!

We would like to follow up on your issue. Are you able to resolve the issue? Please feel free to update the discussion if you need further assistance from us.

We would be happy to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's my tip: click on the path (visible or with a stroke of none) where it is sticking out beyond the text content. If necessary, tighten up the text handles to expose the path as I show in the video below.

Alteratively, Control+click on the path to select it. Once you successfully select the path with the Direct Selection tool, you can the anchor points. 

~Barb

2022-11-18_08-59-30 (1).gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 14, 2022 Dec 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi folks ...

Apologies for my delayed response to your helpful suggestions - I hadn't enabled reply notifications so hadn't picked up your responses.

I'll try the various ideas suggested and see if I can get it to work!

Thanks

Richard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines