• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a limit of buttons to place in an Interactive pdf?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've made an interactive pdf with many buttons that has the action to show/hide other buttons. This works fine for the first buttons I created, but the last don't work. It seems that there is a limit of buttons that can be used (since the buttons that don't work are placed after the ones that do), but I cannot find any information fot that.
Does anyone has experience with this problem?

Thanx in advance

TOPICS
How to , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgot to mention that I made the pdf with Indesign 16.2.1 and exporting it as an interactive pdf. OS is Big Sur 11.2.3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i never noticed that there is a limit before, i used to do alot of show and hide buttons, are you sure you made it right??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The buttons that function and don't function are exactly the same. I shall try to post a screenshot (SP works, ICT don't. ICT is created after SP)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think there's a limit on the number of hyperlinks in a PDF but note, you can have a word or words or an image (such as a button shape) as a document hyperlink to say another page in the document, or to an external website.

Some devices, for example, iPads, don't have rollover capability – only click – you should avoid multi-action buttons like On Click, On Roll Over, etc. multi-state object (MSO) don’t work at all in Interactive PDFs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanx for you answer, but i'm afraid that doesn't apply to our document. the only functionality we use is to show or hide of buttons. Every button has only one action 'On click hide/show buttons or forms'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Technically, no limit...in reality, it's wonky at best.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i found a limit when i made a popup and in that popup i had 25 popups inside of it. it just never worked correctly. glitchy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If any ID document with interactive elements stop functioning as expected, try saving IDML, open new file, and test interactivity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just an update to the buttons limit - I am experiencing it too. 

Using ID version 8.0

Acrobat Pro DC

It seems to appear at around 80 buttons.

I have created my buttons in layers - which works fine up to the breaking point.

If I make a copy of the original file, strip out the earlier layers, leaving only the first and last, the buttons work fine. So I guess it is the limit I am hitting.

P.S. The IDML solution doesn't solve the problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just use a word or words or a shape for the document link - multi-state buttons won't work on things like smart phones and tablets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines