• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to create something like a Smart Object in Indesign?

Explorer ,
Aug 30, 2021 Aug 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I'm making some stuff for a group, and I made some clickable buttons to be able to go through the different pages. However, I'm going to be doing this once a month, and those buttons will likely have to change every month.

The problem is, I have like, 15 master pages, and the thing I have to change is on almost every page. So basically, I'm wondering if there is a way to create a smart object, like in photoshop, where I can link it to every page (and still have it function as individual buttons) without having to change each one on every master page.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021
  1. You write you use 15 master pages. Are you aware that a master can be based on another master. If there is something common on all masters you should make a parental master.
  2. Another possibility is to use the content tools and link content. You will see linked content in the link panel. You need only to edit the orignal and update any instance.
  3. Another way could be to work on external INDD and place INDD in another INDD. Interactivity is not forwarded.
  4. You could also export stories or objects as

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your final output format, e.g. Interactive PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, interactive PDF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
  1. You write you use 15 master pages. Are you aware that a master can be based on another master. If there is something common on all masters you should make a parental master.
  2. Another possibility is to use the content tools and link content. You will see linked content in the link panel. You need only to edit the orignal and update any instance.
  3. Another way could be to work on external INDD and place INDD in another INDD. Interactivity is not forwarded.
  4. You could also export stories or objects as InCopy stories. When you want to edit them, you have to check out ANY instance (contrary to 2.) edit it, save it, check it in again and update all instances if it is not done automatically.
  5. You can use snippets.
  6. You could use InDesign Libraries INDL for multiple uses in InDesign.
  7. You could use CC Libraries for multiple uses in InDesign and in other CC applications.

…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines