• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to translate English to Spanish and French?

Advocate ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have documents that come in in english is there a way to translate selected Text frames to the above languages? Or even better is there a way to do this in Paragraph styles that i havent seen yet?

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

No, InDesign does not translate. It does allow you to set the language for the purpose of spellcheck and hyphenation though. You might want to hire a professional translator.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, InDesign does not translate. It does allow you to set the language for the purpose of spellcheck and hyphenation though. You might want to hire a professional translator.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 28, 2022 Jan 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Peter points out below, there is a great (and cheap) script which will translate automatically. Of course, a native speaker should proofread, but it is a significant head start.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will second what Jane said. The only way to get reliable translation is to hire a professional person to do it.  

The best that automatic translation can do is give you a general sense of what something says - I would never ever use it for anything I was planning on publishing (print or web). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both for replying. I knew it was a long show but figured it doesnt hurt to ask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 16, 2020 Aug 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ariel Walden offers a script that uses Google Translate to translate text in an INDesign document. That could be a start. Google Translate has the problems of automatic translation (forget about literary translation), of course, but it may be good enough for your purposes. You can upgrade to neural machine-translation post-editing. It's pay-as-you-go.

http://www.id-extras.com/products/translate/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter! I just downloaded this script, loaded it, purchased the translation key ($5) via PayPal, and converted my InDesign doc to Spanish --- all in about 15 minutes. I had not added a script for a long time, but the developer included a tutorial link and I did it quickly.

The Google Translate has scores of languages, and the Translat script works for InD 2022, although I am on a slightly older version.

Thanks for the link. Pretty amazing. Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Machine translation is pretty limited, but it sometimes can be good enough. Depends what image you want to give; Most companies don't find it professional enough. Here's a test you can try: translate the Spanish back to English. How does it look?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines