• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there any way to do animated zoom in InDesign?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know a lot of people don't like the animated zoom but I have grown accustomed to it and like it now. I can do it in every application except InDesign. There anyway to do it in that app?  I can't seem to find it anywhere in the preferences.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

If you're on a Macintosh, and you have the proper graphics card and a Retina display, you can turn on Preferences > GPU Performance and check Animated Zoom.

Not possible yet in Windows or for non-approved graphics cards or lacking Retina display.

Nothing has changed in InDesign CC 2019 (14.0) from previously, in other words.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and I have the newly updated Version 14 now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're on a Macintosh, and you have the proper graphics card and a Retina display, you can turn on Preferences > GPU Performance and check Animated Zoom.

Not possible yet in Windows or for non-approved graphics cards or lacking Retina display.

Nothing has changed in InDesign CC 2019 (14.0) from previously, in other words.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 05, 2020 Jul 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Mac, it is not necessary to have proper “retina” display, animated zoom work also with 27" 2560x1440 and RX 470 in old MacPro 5,1. This Alt + scroll trick aslo work on Mac too, but is not so fluid as animated zoom (it jumps at 25 %, so 100%, 75 %, 50 %, 25 %).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

booo.  Ok then.  Well thank you for responding!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2020 May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a way actually. It's not animated zoom in the sense that Mac has, but if you hold Alt and scroll, this will zoom in and out just like animated zoom on Mac. I know this thread is a little hold, but hope it helps! I'm running Indesign 2020

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2023 Sep 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ohmygod THANK YOU so much! It's crazy how Adobe isn't able to figure out how to get Animated Zoom to work properly on Indesign considering it works fine with Photoshop and Illustrator. I don't understand at all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 05, 2020 Jul 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any changes?

It is a little bit of a lame that having a laptop a way more powerful any MacBook is I can not access to that feature.
It would be amazing to understood if there is technical reasons behind, or if InDesign team just are not considering that feature in their roadmap and how could we make them change their mind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 30, 2023 Mar 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an old thread, but I have never understand why Illustrator can do the animated zoom and In Design can´t. In the preferences the tick box is greyed out in In Design, but checking the info brought me to a page, were @Steve Werner ´s comment on the display might make sense. It says there for InDesign it would require a HIDPI Screen for this option. It would be interesting to verify that, if that is true and why this is not a requirement for Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines