Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issue with Character Direction in Adobe InDesign - Need Assistance

Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2023 May 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I hope you're doing well. I'm encountering an issue with the character direction in Adobe InDesign and I'm hoping someone here can provide some guidance.

I'm currently using the latest version of Adobe InDesign with a premium subscription (up to date as of May 25, 2023). According to the information I found on the Adobe website, there should be a "Character Direction" option available in the "Character" panel to control the direction of individual characters within a paragraph. However, I cannot seem to locate this option in my version of InDesign.

The absence of the "Character Direction" option is causing difficulties for me when typing text in Arabic or Hebrew. For example, when I try to type a period, it is positioned behind the text instead of appearing after it. It only moves to the end of the text if I type another word. This behavior suggests that the character direction is set for English, but I need it to be adjusted for right-to-left languages.

I have already checked the "Character" panel, but it only displays text alignment options, without the specific "Character Direction" setting.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could assist me in finding a solution or provide any insights into this issue. Is there an alternative method to adjust the character direction in Adobe InDesign that I might be overlooking?

Thank you in advance for your help!

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 25, 2023 May 25, 2023

Hi @Ahmed Alkatheri:

You will need to uninstall your current version of InDesign and then install an ME version for the text direction controls to be available. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/access-install-hebrew-arabic-indesign-illustrator-CC.html

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Ahmed Alkatheri:

You will need to uninstall your current version of InDesign and then install an ME version for the text direction controls to be available. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/access-install-hebrew-arabic-indesign-illustrator-CC.html

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, you don't need to uninstall anything. 
You have your first installation, in my case it is German. 
change the app language in the Desktop CC application to English-Hebrew and install it again. 
You can repeat it with Arabicc. 
Athe End change the App language to your primary language, in my case German. 
After starting InDesign I have my version and my UI with additional plugins which enable and add RTL functionality and meus which I need for those languages. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2023 May 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just did that, and it worked , Thank you so much all of you 

AhmedAlkatheri_1-1685144272062.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

it worked guys thank you so much 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marhaba Ahmad,

If you need full control of Right-to-Left languages, then follow Barb's instructions, if however, if you need limited controls, then follow Willi's 😊

I personally use the Middle Eastern version of InDesign and have the full controls. By the way, what you described about punctuations appearing on the wrong end of the text is related to the "Paragraph Direction" controls found in the Paragraph Panel

Paragraph-panel.jpg

not the "Character Direction" found in the fly-out menu of the Character panel

CHARACTER-DIRECTION.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Salam bro,
thats thing i dont have that option, and I even reinstalled it again with the version that support يدعم العربية. still the same issues , and there is no version thats fully arabic i see all the languages except arabic 

AhmedAlkatheri_0-1685143336118.png

this is what i have , and for the charachter panel its same thing , there is no mention of any directions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines