• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issues Exporting PDFs in InDesign

Explorer ,
Jun 15, 2022 Jun 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently updated InDesign and I've had nothing but issues with exporting PDFs. I'm trying to export my resume and for some reason the second page just won't export properly. If I export as a .jpg it'll work fine. I've attached the PDF where it shows the issue. I also attached a .jpg of how they second page is supposed to look.

I exported this file from older versions of InDesign without any problems. I'm running InDesign v17.3 on a PC with Windows 10 and all the latest updates. Any help greatly appreciated. 

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 16, 2022 Jun 16, 2022

Ah!  It looks like you have Replace Background Colours checked in Preferences > General > Accessibility.

Uncheck that!

Also, the only issue I saw is concerning your tiny icons, especially the "world" one. When you export your PDF, they are getting downsampled in a weird way. Sometimes, Bicubic Downsampling adds a weird set of pixels on the right edge of very tiny objects. Select Average Downsampling instead (or Do Not Downsample, as your icons are pretty simple anyway).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you indicate where on the PDF or the JPEG the problem is? I opened each in separate tabs and switched back and forth but I canot see where the problem is.

It may be that there is no problem but the program you are using to view the PDF. Some PDF viewers do not display blending modes or overprints correctly. A file might look right in InDesign or rasterized to JPEG but look different in Safari or Chrome or Preview. Try looking at the file in Acrobat.

Of course, even if that is the issue you should probably try to fix it. You cannot control what program a potential employer will use to view your resume. If the issue is improperly rendered blending modes try to recreate the effect some other way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exactly are you seeing that's not working right? (Just want to confirm before I talk about what I am seeing, because I do see one issue)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Acrobat DC. Here's a screenshot of what it looks like when I open it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 16, 2022 Jun 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens, when you turn on the Overprint Preview?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I change that to "Always" it doesn't make a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah!  It looks like you have Replace Background Colours checked in Preferences > General > Accessibility.

Uncheck that!

Also, the only issue I saw is concerning your tiny icons, especially the "world" one. When you export your PDF, they are getting downsampled in a weird way. Sometimes, Bicubic Downsampling adds a weird set of pixels on the right edge of very tiny objects. Select Average Downsampling instead (or Do Not Downsample, as your icons are pretty simple anyway).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure how that option got turned on, but that was it! Thanks. It was making me crazy. Looks like whatever sampling I do with the smaller results in some form of artifacting. I'll just redo those in Illustrator. Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"I'll just redo those in Illustrator. "

I was going to suggest that! 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whichprogram do you use to view the PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post a screen shot of the problem document which includes the app's title bar above the document. We need to see that you are using Reader. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Acrobat Pro DC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines