• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issues with Data Merge and apostrophes

New Here ,
Mar 10, 2023 Mar 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found out that a data merge I did for a mailing had missing data. After comparing the lists I noticed the missing lines all had aposthrophes, as in Ann's Hair Salon. The merge would include everything but that line and it would leave a blank line where the field was supposed to be.

Has anyone had this problem? Is there an easy fix?

I am using InDesign 2020 on a Mac. 

TOPICS
Performance , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 10, 2023 Mar 10, 2023

Most merges take only a few minutes at most, so you don't lose much if they are incorrect in some way -- just delete the merged file and correct the template, then merge again.

If you absolutely cannot resist doing a preview, it generally works to immediately Undo after the preview and before you run the merge.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you used a data sheet in CSV format, try saving it as tab-delimited text instead. Let us know whether it makes a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I usually use a tab-delimited file. I could try an CSV file. Also when I merged just 1 file it merged fine, but merging multiple records is where the issue happened. And no error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you preview the multiple record merge before running? That might be the problem -- DataMerge has a long history of screwing up after a preview, and once damaged, your template is toast forevermore.

If you previewed, rebuild the template in a new file and try running themerge without a preview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I usually do a digital preview before merging, maybe 10-20 records. If everything looks good I merge 1 record and save to a PDF as a "Test". That is more for setting up the envelope printer. Then I usually merge to PDF by tray. I always open the PDF and check a bunch of pages to see if there is anything weird which jumps out to me. In this case it was 810 records and the first apostrophe was around record 300 and I didn't that far. According to the customer there were 200 envelopes with missing company names.

Peter: How should I check my job if I don't preview?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter: How should I check my job if I don't preview?

By @davidm50267749

Do Data Merge, generate PDF and check it instead before printing / sending to the customer.

â–’â–º ID-Tasker / ID-Tasker Server - work smart not hard â—„â–’

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most merges take only a few minutes at most, so you don't lose much if they are incorrect in some way -- just delete the merged file and correct the template, then merge again.

If you absolutely cannot resist doing a preview, it generally works to immediately Undo after the preview and before you run the merge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestions.

Robert: what is ID-Tasker?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Extremely advancced tool I'm working on - but because of its advancement - PC only.

â–’â–º ID-Tasker / ID-Tasker Server - work smart not hard â—„â–’

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines