• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issues with Data Merge on Multi-Page Documents

New Here ,
Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone, im currently setting up a multipage document for direct mail, im importing all the addresses using data merge, but after clicking "create a merged document" it only lets me use the "all records" feature on a merged document using only a single document, I cannot add a facing page or second page. Since I need to do front and back printing, im having a hard time adding a back portion to the document. It is about 5,000 different records. Both the front and designs are the same, the only thing that is changing is the addresses on the back.

Does anyone have any suggestions on this issue?

TOPICS
How to , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021

hello @GLP4750,

Re: The "create merged document" works perfect setting up multiple records when I only use a single page.

Set your document up as a single page not facing pages and do the merge process as you described above, put the art work for the front on a master page. The below script will allow you to then insert that master page as a odd page(s) to all the pages created from the merge process.

var doc = app.activeDocument,
    masterNames = doc.masterSpreads.everyItem().name,
    d = a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you setting up your merge fields on the master page or the first document page?

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am setting them up on the master page then copy and pasting into the first document page. The "create merged document" works perfect setting up multiple records when I only use a single page. But the feature will not work if I set it up as two pages, one for the front and one for the back. I even loaded the image pathways into the database for the front and back of the postcard.

Im just trying to avoid having to run this entire job thru our printer twice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello @GLP4750,

Re: The "create merged document" works perfect setting up multiple records when I only use a single page.

Set your document up as a single page not facing pages and do the merge process as you described above, put the art work for the front on a master page. The below script will allow you to then insert that master page as a odd page(s) to all the pages created from the merge process.

var doc = app.activeDocument,
    masterNames = doc.masterSpreads.everyItem().name,
    d = app.dialogs.add({name:"Apply Master Page"}),
    dd, radioBtns, index, even, master;

d.dialogColumns.add().staticTexts.add({staticLabel:"Master Pages:"});
    dd = d.dialogColumns.add().dropdowns.add({stringList:masterNames, selectedIndex:0});
    radioBtns = d.dialogColumns.add().radiobuttonGroups.add();

radioBtns.radiobuttonControls.add({staticLabel:"Odd Pages",checkedState:true});
    radioBtns.radiobuttonControls.add({staticLabel:"Even Pages"});

if(d.show()){
    index = dd.selectedIndex;
    even = radioBtns.selectedButton;
    d.destroy();
    } else {
    d.destroy();
    exit();
  }

master = doc.masterSpreads.item(index);

for(var i=doc.pages.length-1;i>=0;i--){
    if (even)
        doc.pages.add(LocationOptions.AFTER,doc.pages[i],{appliedMaster:master});
    else
        doc.pages.add(LocationOptions.BEFORE,doc.pages[i],{appliedMaster:master});
    }

,Regards

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Mike this worked perfectly!

Thank you so much, I really apprecite you reaching out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create your merge document with only the backs; have a separate one-page document for the front, since it (from your description) does not require any merging. You can give both PDFs to the printer, and let them know that you need your 5000 unique backs on the common front. 

Also, if you are having these printed, the printer may offer this service - you give them the art and your address data, and they add the addresses in their print process.

If you are printing these yourself, print all of the fronts, then print the unique backs on the other side.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help.

I am printing these in-house, so running them thru the printer again to print the back side would work for me. Do you know if its possible to merge the PDFs that I get for the back side with the front side so I can just upload one big PDF to the printers software?

Im trying to avoid reloading all the sheets again to the printer to run again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to do what I think you want. 

I created a facing page document starting on page 2 with primary text frames.

I when to the master page, deleted the primary text frame on the right-hand page, and placed some static text on it.

I inserted the DM placeholders on the left master in the remaining primary frame.

In the document, I imported my records. The merged records appeared on the left side; the static text appeared on the right side. I used static text on one of the master pages, but I would assume I could have inserted a graphic too.

(I imagine I could have started at page number 1, but I wanted to see the pages side-by-side.)

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines