• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issues with Font replacement in Indesign changing CMYK Value

New Here ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I'm a graphic designer and just noticed a glitch with these font changes for 2023. When I open an older file with fonts that now need to be replaced, the colour palette changes.

C: 99/0/3/0

M: 0/95/0/0

Y: 0/0/89/0

I've only just realised this scenario as a client noticed a change colour in print of business cards.
I didn't check CMYK as this shouldn't have changed and they only made copy changes, nightmare scenario for a printery!

Anyone had this happen??

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the Using the Community forum (which is the forum for issues using the forums).

Please tell us what Adobe application you are using so that this can be moved to the proper forum for help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Program name is in message title

You need to ask program questions in the forum for the program you are using
To ask in the forum for your program please start at https://community.adobe.com/
Moving from Using the Community (which is about the forums) to the correct forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't think of any connection between font and colors, unless the file is corrupted.

What is your workflow from InDesign to the printer? Through a PDF, I would assume? Did you use the same PDF export settings (hopefully one of the print standards), or did you export using different settings?

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PDF. I checked on my old mac with old indesign and original colour was there... but on new mac with updated Indesign asking for fonts CMYK changed, example below:

Screenshot 2023-03-23 at 11.49.24 am.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only happening on files that require font changes... look at the CMYK value... strange, not great for a printery when we have already sent files out to be printed over the last 2 weeks and just noticed. Black mis supposed to be CMYK 20/20/20/100.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 23, 2023 Mar 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @tanyac280576 , I agree with James, a font change would not affect the document Swatch colors. It looks more like a Color Mangement problem—the Swatch colors would change anytime the document is opened by you, your client, or the printer, when the current Color Settings’ CMYK Color Management Policy is set to Convert to Working Space

Screen Shot 16.png

Are you providing the printer a Packaged InDesign file or a press ready PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree, what would fonts have to do with changing colours, but this is happening before I have opened the document. Why would the C99, M95 etc. I have checked printer seeings but nothing has changed from old Indesign mac to new Indesign mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

but this is happening before I have opened the document.

I can replicate your problem by setting the Color Settings CMYK Color Management Policy to Convert to Working Space and creating a new document saved with that policy. This Document has a Swatch named C=100 M=100 Y=0 K=0 with the default US Web Coated SWOP CMYK profile assigned:

Screen Shot 35.png

If I close the document and set ColorSettings to CM Policy to Convert to Working Space with a confilcting CMYK Working Space:

Screen Shot 39.png

Then reopen the document the native Swatches and Colors get converted to C=98 M=90 Y=0 K=0—the conversion numbers would vary depending on the source and destination profiles:

Screen Shot 37.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wondering if the text is being controlled by a paragraph style? And is that paragraph style made to be independent and steady by setting its Based On to "No Paragraph Style"? The paragraph style would, in turn, call to the same Swatch, and therefore not change.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No paragraph style attached.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines