• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issues with gradients going from InDesign to PDF

New Here ,
Jun 27, 2022 Jun 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In recent months, when I send a printer a packaged InDesign file that has gradients, the gradients disappear when they try to open the PDF in Illustrator. I'm not sure why they can't print using the InDesign file, but my question is why are the gradients disappearing? Is there some setting in InDesign that I'm missing? BTW, I'm using a Mac.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Find another printer.
  2. PDFs and AIs should not be opened in Illustrator from a printer. Why is he doing that. If a font or linked file is missing, he destroys the whole project.
  3. When you place PDFs in InDesign, they should be PDF/X-4.
  4. Don't send the printer open INDD files with assets, send the printer 1 single PDF according to the joboptions and color output profiles he provides. If a printer wants open files, take another printer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"when I send a printer a packaged InDesign file that has gradients, the gradients disappear when they try to open the PDF in Illustrator. "

Hi Michele,

it's never a good idea to open a PDF in Illustrator.

( The one exception is perhaps if you place and link the PDF page. )

If your PDF contains both RGB and CMYK elements Illustrator will either convert them all to RGB or CMYK.

That's only one problematic thing that will happen.

The printers should be able to print from an exported PDF/X-4 where images were not downsampled and colors were not converted. And where transparency is maintained.

What can you do?

Provide a correct PDF/X-4.

That's all.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines