• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

javascripts not working Indesign CC

Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2017 Nov 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded to InDesign CC on a MacBook Pro after about a two years absence. So forgive me if this is a rookie CC question.

Two days ago I ran a script called PageExporterUtility5.0.1.jsx which I downloaded and installed according to the directions here. InDesign Page Exporter Utility Script | LSC Communications . It worked fine then, but today it will not work at all.

Also, all the other Javascripts don’t work. I don’t know whether they worked two days ago because I didn’t test them. The applescripts work.

I really need this script. Any help is appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had no problems running a few Javascripts in InDesign CC 2018. These are mostly the included ones in the Utilities > Scripts panel, and one that was recently posted in InDesignSecrets.com to work with the new paragraph border feature.

What JavaScripts are you talking about? Maybe there are changes in the operating system, and you have older versions that don't work with those changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume you have tried restarting the MacBook?

Do you have any startup scripts running? Check /Applications/Adobe InDesign CC 2014/Scripts/startup scripts. Try moving any scripts out of the startup scripts folder and restart ID.

There are also two folders that can run scripts—Application and User. You can reveal both in the finder by Control clicking either folder in the Scripts panel. You might try moving and running the problem script from the User folder.

You can also run scripts from the ExtendScript application and bypass the ID Scripts panel (Applications/Adobe ExtendScript Toolkit CC). If you run from ExtendScript any errors will stop the script and you'll get some feed back. Before running the script choose the version of InDesign you are running from the application list in the dropdown menu next to the link icon in the upperleft of the main code window

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen this before where a component of the first script that was run is still present and prevents any other scripts from running. I'm guessing that the machine has been turned off and on (or at least indesign) - if not, try that in the first instance.

If the javascripts still won't work, what happens if you right-click on a script and go "edit script" and then run the script from the Extendscript Toolkit by pressing the play button?

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2017 Nov 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did finally get the script to run through ID by moving it to the Application folder instead of the Samples folder. And the other javascripts work as well. So maybe it was just that a script was running, keeping mine from executing. In either case, I'm glad it's working.

I checked out the Extendscript Toolkit as well so I can try it if it happens again. I did not have success. The Toolkit comes when I "edit script" up but when I choose ID 2018 and  press play, I just get a little blue spinner at the bottom right of the box. And the text says, no script is running. The menu in the script where you choose settings never appears. I'll work with this some more at another time, but for now, it's back to work.

Thank you all for your timely input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 11, 2017 Nov 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Liz,

just a note: when working with the ExtendScript Toolkit (ESTK):
You have to connect with your version of InDesign before unning any script.
Plus: If you connect the first time with an app the ESTK needs a bit of time to gather all the Document Object Model (DOM) data from the app before you can run a particular script successfully.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2017 Nov 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Laubender for the additional information. I am going to give it another try and be more patient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines