• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Jpeg not exporting the correct colour

Contributor ,
May 23, 2022 May 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PNGs export with the correct colour, JPEGS do not.

My colour settings are all set to sRGB. shapes are created in indesign. no links.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Is your screen calibrated? With no calibrated screen it is difficult to judge colors.
  2. PNG does not support colormanagement, JPG does.
  3. What color profile (COLOR SPACE + COLOR MODE) has the JPG before import?
  4. What color profile is the output profile?

Your examples are not useable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2022 May 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PNG does not support colormanagement, JPG does.

Hi Willy, Older versions of InDesign ignored profiles embedded in PNGs, but the versions since CC2015 honor embedded profiles. In Photoshop you can Export to PNG and include a profile, and the InDesign Links panel will show the profile:

Screen Shot 11.pngScreen Shot 9.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indesign Working space sRGB

Document is RGB transparency space

I've tried exporting the jpeg with the 'Embed colour profile' ticked and not ticket. Makes no difference. (profile was sRGB)

The square in indesign is #001f54. But exported jpeg is #192451

Photoshop is showing sRGB profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What color has the JPG before you import it into InDesign? Your setting with RGB is not to change colors.

Why do you export to JPG or PNG? And how do you end up with the PNG or JPG?

When I need a JPG from InDesign I export as PDF/X-4 and open that in Photoshop, and convert it there as InDesign is very bad with JPG export. But it is seldom that I use this way as JPG from InDesign content makes no sense for me as the JPG compression of vector and text content is alway awful. If I need a thumbnail for the web, I use PNG, if I need a thumbnail or image for print, I use only PDF/X-4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that blue square is created in indesign. it's not imported. So it makes no sense why indesign is changing the colour RGB numbers when exporting as jpeg. 

I thought I'd try an old version of indesign. (16.0), and no matter what profile is selected, it's now exporting the blue as another breakdown. (#002055) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Pu Koh , It’s happening because the JPEG compression affects the color channels, but PNG does not.

If you export to PDF and open the PDF into InDesign as sRGB, you will get matching hex values. But if you save the opened PDF to JPEG there will likely still be some color shift because of the compression.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But it’s not even just a little off. It’s A LOT off.

And it’s a solid block of blue. Compression would be minimal, no?

I’ve never noticed it being so wrong. And I’ve been exporting jpegs for 2
decades!
--
Pu | 0416387289

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m only seeing one 8-bit gray level shift in the blue channel. With the settings I’m showing below 0|31|84 exports as 0|31|85:

Screen Shot 12.pngScreen Shot 13.pngScreen Shot 14.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

And it’s a solid block of blue. Compression would be minimal, no?

Also, I can see the affect of compression on the color if I lower the Quality. Set to Low all the channels change with Blue shifting 2 gray levels:

Screen Shot 15.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines