• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Keep lines of poem from breaking

New Here ,
Jul 09, 2021 Jul 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a book of poems that I had to import from a PDF (converted PDF to Word and then imported).

Everything imported ok, but some strange formatting also got imported. For example, every line of each poem is indented from left (not a big issue), but also indented from the right margin as well. The indent from the right varies based on the line length. Also most lines of the poems have hard returns (good) but some do not (bad--they just have a trailing space and the line ends where it is based on the varying right indent).

Since I need to adjust the left indent of each poem, if I do that by just increasing the indent, the lines without the hard returns get pushed to the next line (due to the varying right indents). So is there an easy way to solve this issue--for example a way to add a hard or soft return to each of the lines that is missing a hard return? As i mentioned they all have a trailing whitespace.

thanks

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 10, 2021 Jul 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Converting a PDF to Word is not a push button solution as you may think. I would first curate the data in Word. The easyest way is to get ridd of all formatting by copy/pasting the data to notepad++ or similar (any text only editor should be good) and than copy/paste it into Indesign. You can then assign the propper formatting in Indesign without the legacy formatting. 

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 10, 2021 Jul 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@posterns I have a lot of experience with formatting text in Word for InDesign text mapping and @Abambo is totally right that this is not a push button solution. The best practice is to strip all formatting out of the Word document, then apply simple styles such as Normal and Headings (which I always modify or create a new style based on those) making sure invisible characters is turned on. I then use find/replace to get rid of a lot of bad characters, extra spaces and paragraph returns,  convert quotation marks and dashes, etc. especially when converting from PDF to Word because a lot of artifacts can import. Sometimes I also copy the text to a .txt document and then place it back in a new Word document with regular margins. The problem with this is it can lose some of the italics and bold formatting. I also try selecting all text in Word and do a special copy to another new Word document. Lots of little things on this end make your life much easier once you get to InDesign! Meanwhile, if you can't go backwards, then you will need to reapply paragraph styles and override any formatting that came in. Make sure you have invisible characters on as well which will help you identify where things are holding up text flow. I hope this is helpful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines