• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Keep Options leaving columns unbalanced and ugly.

New Here ,
Oct 03, 2022 Oct 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the Keep Options to prevent widows and orphans in a 3-column text format. However, I also want the three columns to balance as well as possible and not have the middle or third column significantly longer than the first. But when I assign Keep Lines Together > At Start/End of Paragraph to 2 lines each, the last two lines of a paragraph break to the second column to keep with the next paragraph even when those two lines will fit perfectly well in the first column. This leaves my columns grossly unbalanced and ugly. This makes no sense to me. If there is room in the first column, I do NOT want the last two lines to keep with the next paragraph, I want them to fill out the first column. What am I doing wrong? (I can fix individual instances with work-arounds, but I'm creating a template for someone else to use, and I need to make it as stream-lined and fool-proof as possible.) Thanks for any enlightenment.

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 03, 2022 Oct 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

How many lines is the split paragraph? If it is three lines and you are using 2 lines for both options in Keep Lines Together then InDesign will always keep all three lines together. Can you post a screen shot of the frame in question and hte Keep options for the paragraph? Please make sure hidden characters and frame edges are visible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines