• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Keeping anchored object in frame - creating space for reader to write in book

Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2021 Jul 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to create space for the reader to take notes in the book after a prompt. I tried using space after in the paragraph style, but when the prompt falls to the end of the page it doesn't provide enough space and flow to the next page. I thought I could just create a rectangle that ultimately wouldn't be printed, but I can't get it to stay in frame when the prompt falls to the end of the page. 

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  I can't seem to get the right search terms to find answers. 

Thanks for any help,

Renee

TOPICS
How to , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jul 25, 2021 Jul 25, 2021

I made a sample document here

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cjjivg3vmqnzllj/Untitled-3.idml?dl=0

I think you just need to have your anchored object - but keep in mind that anchored objects behave like text - so you can apply a paragraph style to the anchored object as it's in a text line.

In this example, I have a body text style, and that is setup with Keep Options

First, create a paragraph style (if not already) for your body text

EugeneTyson_0-1627201657660.png

Then for the anchored object and the Record your observati

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jul 25, 2021 Jul 25, 2021

When I do this kind of textbooks with space for answer I prefer to use a Paragraph style to create the rows to write on. With paragraph borders/shading or using subtle 0.5 point dotted lines as paragraph rules gives the flexibillity to make these lines easy to find and also adapt to the expected amount of text. (One return would give you one line to answer,  5 returns (one line per "paragraph") would give you a longer expected line) Having a seperate paragraph style, also lets you change the lin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 23, 2021 Jul 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I almost understand what you need - but I am struggling to understand the problem fully as you describe.

Can you give a bit more information or even a sample file of what you're trying to achieve?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2021 Jul 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Eugene. 

The problem is that the two solutions I've tried (space after and creating an anchored object) don't work when the prompt is at the bottom of the page. When the prompt is at the bottom of the page, I need it to flow to the next page and keep the prompt and the blank space (or object) together. But neither solution preserves the space when the prompt falls to the bottom of the page. 

The desired outcome would be - if the prompt + writing space following will not fit in the text frame, the prompt + writing space flows to the next page preserving the writing space. 

Screen shots include

1. achieved desired outcome when it falls in the middle of the page.

2. (forced) desired outcome when prompt would otherwise fall at the bottom of a page (overlooking the other issues that this creates.)

I am open to other solutions to creating a space for the reader to write in the book (there must be a term for this).

Thank you,

Renee

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 25, 2021 Jul 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made a sample document here

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cjjivg3vmqnzllj/Untitled-3.idml?dl=0

I think you just need to have your anchored object - but keep in mind that anchored objects behave like text - so you can apply a paragraph style to the anchored object as it's in a text line.

In this example, I have a body text style, and that is setup with Keep Options

First, create a paragraph style (if not already) for your body text

EugeneTyson_0-1627201657660.png

Then for the anchored object and the Record your observation.

And for this one choose these options

EugeneTyson_1-1627201757921.png

Then apply the paragraph style to the anchored objects.

===

I realise this might not be perfect for your scenario - but hopefully it gives you the tools to discover a method that works for you.

Keep with previous might work better for just the Anchored Object - for example.

If you have a lot of anchored objects already - and it's daunting to go through all of them - you can do a find change

Edit>Find/Change (CTRL or CMD F)

Go to the GREP panel

insert 

~a

as the ~a will find anchored objects

Then in the Format options choose the paragraph style you created

Keep in mind if you click All for the find change - you'll change All anchored objects. Instead you might consider going one by one.

EugeneTyson_3-1627202046689.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I think I was able to get it to work how you described. I appreciate the detailed explanantion. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 25, 2021 Jul 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I do this kind of textbooks with space for answer I prefer to use a Paragraph style to create the rows to write on. With paragraph borders/shading or using subtle 0.5 point dotted lines as paragraph rules gives the flexibillity to make these lines easy to find and also adapt to the expected amount of text. (One return would give you one line to answer,  5 returns (one line per "paragraph") would give you a longer expected line) Having a seperate paragraph style, also lets you change the line space if you have small type and don't expect your learners to have such a fine hand.

Keep with previous would mean there woould always be at least one line of answer after a question.

There are many options to achive a good result, to some degree it's personal preference.
Screenshot 2021-07-25 at 10.58.36.png
(Here with Paragraph Rule, Border and Shading)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you. I am pleased to have another option. I'm going to try this out also.

I appreciate the examples and explantion. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines