• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Keeping document positions of InDesign CC library items after editing them

New Here ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At my job, we use InDesign libraries very successfully to hold groups of elements, including dated text, that must fall into specific locations every time they're placed onto a document. Using the place option in the library's contextual menu, this works like a charm. We also edit these grouped library items annually by placing the items onto a document, updating their dates, highlighting them, then right-clicking on the library items and choosing update library item. We are now in the process of developing a new workflow utilizing Adobe CC, and I've been testing whether the CC Libraries feature will be beneficial to us. I have discovered that library items can be edited by double-clicking them or choosing edit from the contextual menu, but I am not seeing a way that allows them to retain their initial document positions (x and y); this is critical to our workflow. Is there a way this can be done? If not, we have no problem continuing to use the regular InDesign libraries as we always have.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Holly,

did you already find an answer for your question?

I think it should be doable* with assets that are like IDMS files.

The position of such an asset is controlled with a preference in InDesign's Preferences > File Handling tab.

IMPORTANT: This is a control on document level.

Means: it is tied to a saved document.

So it could be different from document to document.

Snippet Import

Position at:

[ Cursor Location ] ( Default )

[ Original Location ]

* Cannot test this right now. Just have an issue with synching my CC Libraries.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines