Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Keeping Multiply effect on animations - InDesign

Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2021 Jul 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am trying to create an animation on InDesign and one of the animated objects has the Multiply effect, however, when I add animation to it, the effect disapears. Is there a way to keep Multiply after the animation is applied?

Thank you

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most blend modes are not supported in HTML.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apart from Bob's comment, what kind of format do you want to output to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Thank you for replying! 

I planned to publish the file when I finalise it, so  HTML... 

I presume I am stuck!

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean InDesign's Publish Online facility?

You can create animations from InDesign easily with this format (HTML5) though the documents have to be hosted on Adobe servers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, yes, I can - but the issue is that I can't keep the Multiply effect when I create the animation on certain elements of my layout.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are lots of effects that you can use, Diane Burns has collected a number together so people can see what can be achieved: https://indd.adobe.com/view/c2c7aa96-405e-488f-8902-e1d96c1bea4f/#02

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct. Do not even attempt to use blend modes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May I suggest you make your graphic the way you want it, with the effects you want from illustrator, place that in your indesign layout and animated from indesign.

i think doing that will guarantee what you want at the end

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dtad,

can you post the link to your Publish Online document so that we can have a look?

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 05, 2021 Jul 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thank you for your replies.

I have created the four circles on illustrator and kept the Multiply blend mode then placed these on InDesign. I still can't get the multiply effect on the animation.

https://indd.adobe.com/view/163c2faf-03a1-42fc-b753-f1785a0c244e

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which part of the advice you've gotten do you not understand. You can't work around something that doesn't work at all. Don't use blend modes with HTML output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob,

Yes, I understand, Jonathan Aires suggested something which I made sure I followed. Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please stop wasting your time. Blend modes and HTML do not mix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How and where did you do the text along that circle?

You can see that the quality of the rendering of that text is extremely bad.

Did you do this with InDesign? With Illustrator?

Note: All placed graphics, PDF pages, InDesign pages and AI files will be rendered to pixels when published online.

One exception: Placed SVG files.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's an idea:

Multiply displays in Publish Online when there is no animation on it. Simple example here: https://indd.adobe.com/view/ec3a26eb-9b2d-4639-8dde-f08e0e47540d

Expanding on Uwe's idea, create a stationary version of the final appearance you want (you could even do this in InDesign) and have it fade in or appear on top once the cirlcles come together.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, you can't animate the final object or you'll lose the multiply effect.

Here's a slightly modified idea:

Have the final result on the page, no animation.

Cover with Paper-color rectangle (or circle, whatever fits in your design and hides the final result).

Do your animation with the three circles. At the end, set the animated circles and the Paper-color rectangle to Disappear or Fade Out. Have to do some finessing in the Timing panel.

Haven't tested, but may be worth a shot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I will have a go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dtad,

I'm stll not clear how the multiply effect should work when all moving objects come together.

Can you show the object in Illustrator selected with the panel showing how the effect is constructed?

I would do the following:

Text around circle: Do it in Adobe Illustrator, export to SVG with text as outline SVG shapes, place the SVG in InDesign.

Three circle elements: Also do individual SVG files and place them in InDesign.

Multiply effect: Do that like Diane suggested with InDesign.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I am new to this and wasn't sure how best to save the illustrator files and place them on InDesign. I will have a go together with Diane's suggestion.

Regards,

Daniela

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Daniela,

keep us informed how it goes.

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines