• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Keyboard shortcut does not work in Indesign CC

New Here ,
Jul 05, 2018 Jul 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated my InDesign and since then my keyboard shortcuts don't work.

Discussion moved by moderator from Adobe Creative Cloud to InDesign

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 05, 2018 Jul 05, 2018

Quit InDesign and delete your Preferences. Then Relaunch.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 05, 2018 Jul 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quit InDesign and delete your Preferences. Then Relaunch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jul 06, 2018 Jul 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane, on MacOS custom keyboard shortcut sets are stored in /Users/home/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/Version 13.0/en_US/InDesign Shortcut Sets.

Deleting your Preferences deletes your custom KBSC sets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2020 Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i dont see that file. Could it be Indesign Defaults or DVADiologue prefs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 06, 2018 Jul 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ggdc49250264 ,

what exact keyboard shortcuts do not work?

Default ones like Ctrl+c ? Or custom ones you stored with InDesign?

While updating InDesign it could be that the update process removed your custom ones.

Or that they went corrupt if you migrated your set from an older version. Then built them anew.

Also possible: You are running an app side by side with InDesign that steals the keyboard shortcut.
Browser add-ons come to my mind here.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 10, 2018 Oct 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After last software update (InDesign 13.1), the default keyboard shortcuts listed below no longer work.

1. shift key = constrain element when moving
  2. command+space bar = zoom-in tool (click or marquis)
  3. option+command+space bar = zoom-out tool
  4. w = toggle normal to preview and back to normal

These are normal keyboard shortcuts that have been default since I started using a Mac II over 25 years ago. (except the "w" function.)

From the others I've seen expressing the same issue, it's beyond reason why Adobe hasn't gotten to the bottom of it. They act like they're the only game in town. Oh wait ...

Frustrated and exasperated in Texas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2019 Jun 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A SOLUTION (for the MAC at least)

I just yesterday had this exact problem too on my mac. Adobe support had me remove preference folders in my /Library folder, which did not work, a reinstall of Indesign didn't help me. Support then took over my MacBook and eventually tried out a new /root profile. From which everything worked. So it definitely was something happening on my profile. Tried closing all open apps... and it turned out EXODUS (a multi coin cryptowallet application) was 'stealing' my Cmd/Ctrl/Option/Shift keys from Indesign. Closing it while running Indesign totally solved everything!

So check for any applications 'running' or installed/allowed in your "system setting/security&privacy/accessibility" options.

Best of luck!

Stefan

Schermafbeelding 2019-06-14 om 16.20.28.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2019 Jun 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As it turned out, I discovered a similar issue that was causing my problems. I had recently installed an Internet security app called Webroot. After much frustrating research, I stumbled on to a selection option in the dropdown that says "Pause Secure Keyboard Entry." Without that option selected, virtually NONE of the default quick-keys in all Adobe apps would work.

Problem solved. So now, after a restart, I select the PAUSE and I'm good to go.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your findings.

Best,

v

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2019 Jul 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I had this problem, and found that it was something running in Chrome - simply restarting Chrome fixed the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 28, 2021 Sep 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish Adobe would spend more time investigating this. At least twice a week many of my keyboard shortcuts stop working - the space bar won't invoke the hand tool, the option key functions like copy-on-move, and similar stop working. I am currently on macOS Catalina 10.15.7 (often don't update macOS right away because Creative Cloud often has conflics), with the newest Chrome and updated versions of CC apps.

I use InDesign the most, but this happens in multiple CC apps, regularly, and updating or closing Chrome doesn't usually fix it. I don't want to have to trash all my CC preferences every time it happens, and having to shut down everything and restart doesn't help productivity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, its incredible annoying that I can't hold ALT and move an object. Any fix for this??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2022 Mar 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, sorry but did you find a fix for this? I am unable to alt+drag to duplicate an object too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines