Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

keyboard shortcuts not working CC 2020

Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2019 Nov 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

For some time, however, before updating to the 2020 version, the keyboard shortcuts like "shift + D" to duplicate or "shift + drag" to scale an element proportionally or "option + space" to zoom in no longer work. I tried all the solutions found on the forum but they didn't give results: I restarted the application doing the preferences reset, I deleted the files of preferences and cache, I restarted the mac, I reset the pram, ... I work on macbook pro Mojave. Any suggestions?

TOPICS
Bug , EPUB , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 149 Replies 149
Community Expert ,
Dec 18, 2020 Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As said - the correct place is the feature page. And that is the only place it's actively monitored. Just because you don't get a response doesn't mean it hasn't been noticed. 

What exactly is the issue here? What keyboard shortcut? All of them? 

System Shortcuts can override App Shortcuts, for example, some Illustrator shortcuts don't work for me on the Mac, something like CMD H hides Illustrator. 

I have to change the System Shortcut in the OS to remove Hide Apps shortcuts.

Another thing is some 3rd party apps can override App shortcuts.

There was a user on here before that had a 3rd party Screen Recording App - anytime they hit a certain shortcut in InDesign the App did something like a Confetti over the screen - some easter egg in the other App.

And lastly - there might be something wrong with InDesign - as the preferences files can become corrupt (it's just a file with code in it that is constantly being written to so somethings can go wrong).

RESET PREFERENCES

Using a keyboard shortcut:
  1. (Windows) Start InDesign, and then immediately press Shift+Ctrl+Alt. Click Yes when asked if you want to delete preference files. ...
  2. (Mac OS) Start InDesign, and then immediately press Shift+Option+Command+Control. Click Yes when asked if you want to delete preference files.

REBUILD CACHE

Close Adobe InDesign.

1. Mac OS
    Users/[user]/Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign/Version [version]/InDesign SavedData
    Users/[user]/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/Version [version]/InDesign Defaults
  2. Windows 10
    Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Adobe\InDesign\Version [version]\[language]\Caches\InDesign SavedData
    Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\InDesign\Version [version]\[language]\InDesign Defaults

Restart InDesign.

ALL THIS FAILS

Adobe CC Cleaner Tool

https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

================================

For the vast majority of users - InDesign (Adobe Apps) work no problem at all.

There are repair solutions that Adobe offer - like the ones I posted above. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case we're not on the same page (quite literally), please review EVERYONE's comments here https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/keyboard-shortcuts-not-working-cc-2020/m-p/11752178?page=7#M...

I don't care if this is the right page to post it. We pay a lot of money for Adobe, the monopoly that it is, and we expect patches to be fixed. Particularly when we have to stop our progress, update yet another version, again, only to see more issues, or some not fixed. It's not MS, not tablets for some people, it's Adobe. Please read above. I'm not going to use cleaning tools, I'm not going to rebuild all my preferences because as you can see above or in these 7 pages and counting, the problem is with Adobe software, not on our local computers. I'm not sure what kind of begging we should be doing when these programs aren't free. It's just utterly absurd. I've been using these programs nearly since your infancy. I am persistent in this because we pay so dearly for it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just so you are aware - this is a user to user forum moderated by volunteers not Adobe.

If you read the posts in the thread you listed - many users found the issue to be with Word and Excel (known), so saying "It's not MS" is not entirely accurate.

I have personally seen entire departments (100+ users) experience this issue and we found it WAS Microsoft. It hijacked not only Adobe keyboard shortcuts, but email and MacOS shortcuts as well.

Also cleaning tools, clearing caches, preferences are common solutions for many issues depending on how users have managed their systems. Not many people would upgrade their OS then do a clean install of their apps, so issues can occur.

You can log the bug here if you want:

https://indesign.uservoice.com/ 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems so many share the same frustration with short cuts suddenly not working after Mac goes to sleep mode, or if Micrsoft programs are used at the same time. I have had this problem FOR YEARS, and at least on 3-4 different MacBooks and Adobe Accounts (Business and personal). Concidering being a loyal customer to both companies for decades a problem like this should not be ignored. The only way I have found to be working is to restart the laptop. Super annoying when being in middle of creative flow and critical deadline. Adobe and Apple, FIX THIS PROBLEM please!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to be the case when anything Office is open the key commands don't work in Adobe. Oh, just great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, and what isnt great is that this issue was posted in November 2019 and still no fix.  Adobe keeps blaming Microsoft and Microsoft keeps blaming Adobe.

We, the customer, are suffering because of this.  

Look, I depend on Adobe Shortcuts to work when I'm on client Zoom calls and I'm drawing quickly.  Its hurting my productivity when Adobe shortcuts stop working.  My other non-Adobe software like Autodesk Sketch work properly.  If these other software work, why cant Adobe program their software to work correctly? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 06, 2021 Mar 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What OS are you running? What other software are you running at the same time?

I run both Windows and Mac and full Office Suite on both, and full Adobe suite on both - and I have no issues. 

It might be unrelated to Adobe altogether. But we need more info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HOLY MOLY -- a simple restart fixed all the things. 

Wishing you all luck! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Risa, it might be that when you restarted the Microsoft Office programs closed. Mine, at least is directly related to Office being open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same! also adjusting the frame without content and not scaling proportionally..... grrr!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To make them work again, select the type tool. Highlight a text box. Then select the black content arrow tool again. Voila. Keyboard commands should work again.

Been dealing with this for over 5 years. Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 30, 2021 Jun 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also just click, for example, the brush size tool and the keyboard shortcuts start working again.  This is my "work around" to try to kickstart the keyboard shortcuts again.  I has been a while since this bug started, I'm not sure what the fix is.  It happens very frequently for us.  And yes, we exit as many Microsoft programs as possible, but thats not a fix, thats an Adobe - MS issue to work out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Preferences > Labels and Ratings and then click off the check box to use the key to apply ratings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which program are you referring to? My InDesign does not have a "Labels and Ratings" section under Preferences. (I'm on Mac, OS 0.14.X

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was not my original message so I have no idea. But I will say that my
program sure seems to be crashing a lot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The solution for me was to go to Edit -> Keyboard shortcuts...

Once there, I noticed that the dropdown-value to the right of "Set" (top of the window) was blank. I then selected "Standard" and hit "OK" - and presto; all keyboard shortcuts worked again. I didn't have to quit InDesign, delete prefs, restart the computer, quit other apps, or anything. 

Give it a shot. I hope it works out for you. 

Best wishes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2022 Oct 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Soren, your method works for me when I select my InDesign to use my Illustrator's shortkey.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahhhhhhh, help. I restarted this morning my laptop (MAC) and have the same problem with not working shurtcuts and the INDESIGN is slow as never before. What is going on here?

Even if I close everything on microsoft side, it wont work. WTF!! I have deadlines with work and this is just the worst what can happen. AAAAAADOBE please do something to fix this problem!! We are paying money every month that these programs should run properly!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I could eventualy solve the problem. After 2 restarts of the computer, re-installing the new version twice, then it worked. Its a bit time consuming such bugs, I lost about an 1.5h to fix all this. I dont understand that things where working smoothly and all of a sudden, with no updates on my side it went to the roof with problems! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having the same issue. I found that if I hit this “fn” key and the command key at the same time and hit the shortcut key i need it works!!!!!! Hope this helps !

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a user-user forum - Adobe Staff do post here sometimes but it's not the best place to post bugs or perceived bugs. 

The best place to post these are here https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs

As your problem is not widely reported on the forums - I can only suggest it's a local problem - and sometimes files and systems do go wrong. How often I have been working on my computer and it shuts the program, or the whole computer down. Or I plug in a new peripheral and the system goes haywire. 

We're working on imperfect systems - with imperfect hardware - and imperfect software. 

Things go wrong. And like anything mechanical - we need to maintain them - we need to clean, scrub, oil, polish etc. 

It's part and parcel of owning any hardware - or software.

Eugene

Adobe user like yourself (not staff)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 07, 2021 Sep 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

QUIT all running applications and only have Indesign working. The shortcuts will comeback working - it is normally Microsoft Excel that causes this problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 15, 2021 Sep 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've originally posted on this several years ago and came across something today that I can replicate to cause the issue.  

I am running Adobe Photoshop 22.4.2 with Adobe Creative Cloud on Windows 10 with Wacom Cintiq. I have MS apps closed. It appears the keyboard shortcuts get disabled when using Adobe Creative Cloud Library Brushes for some reason.  I can replicate this by doing the following:

I click on a brush and draw a line.  I then click on one of the Adobe Creative Cloud synced Library Brushes  (switch my brush) then draw another line.  This disables the keyboard shortcuts from this point on.  You have to click a menu item to get the shortcuts back as others have pointed out.  If I switch the brush to a locally stored brush, not in my Adobe Creative Cloud Library, there is no problem, the keyboard shortcuts function properly when switching brushes.  It is only when I use the online Adobe CC Library Brushes that the bug persists. 

Maybe this can help us solve this issue, not sure why its related, but it is for me and I can replicate it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh yes, STILL A PROBLEM. All these fancy updates, mysterious stability enhancements, but simple essential function, no sir no, please keep paying and enjoying premium software as a service. YUK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2022 Oct 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had that same issue for months.

Try quiting/restarting Safari.

Seems Safari is conflicting somehow. Hopefully there is an update soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines